Review Enchant ~ A Blueprint of the World (1993)

album review

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1713395135721.jpeg

Enchant ~ A Blueprint of the World (1993)
California, USA
Neo - Prog, Prog Rock, Prog Metal, Symphonic Rock
Dream Circle Records

Track listing​

1. "The Thirst" (Ott) – 6:16
  2. "Catharsis" (Benignus, Cline, Craddick) – 5:53
  3. "Oasis" (Craddick, Ott) – 8:11
  4. "Acquaintance" (Ott) – 6:31
  5. "Mae Dae" (Benignus, Ott) – 3:24
  6. "At Death's Door" (Cline, Craddick) – 7:16
  7. "East of Eden" (Benignus, Cline, Craddick, Ott) – 5:50
  8. "Nighttime Sky" (Craddick, Ott) – 8:57
  9. "Enchanted" (Craddick, Ott) – 7:17
  10. "Open Eyes" (Ott) – 7:43

Personnel​

• Paul Craddick – drums
  • Ted Leonard – vocals
  • Douglas A. Ott – guitar
  • Ed Platt – bass guitar
  • Mike "Benignus" Geimer – keyboards

Guest musicians​

• Steve Rothery – plays Ebow on track 1, and guitar solo on track 8. He produced five tracks [1, 2, 4, 7, 8] and remixed two [3, 9]

When I was in my early teens, I asked my older brother, who had a fairly large album collection, what his favorite music is. He replied, “progressive”. I have spent a great part of my life trying to figure out what progressive rock is. I’m still not sure, but I know I am drawn to music that is labeled anything from progressive rock to progressive metal. Now I am discovering neo - progressive rock with Enchant.:think:

I began with Enchant from hearing a song, “Circles” and knew I wanted to hear more. I figured I would start at the beginning with the debut album, A Blueprint of the World.

The opening song, “The Thirst”, draws you in. It starts off with an immense melody and Steve Rothery (Marillion) playing a mind bending e-bow. The percussion is intricate in pattern and it stands out. Vocalist, Ted Leonard, kicks in and adds his magical touch. An outstanding vocalist with some high pipes! This song is my top pick off the album

The Thirst

The vocals of Leonard remind me of Steve Walsh (Kansas). Warm and inviting but he can get down to some serious business that captivates the listener. The drummer, Paul Craddick, is a master behind the kit resembling Neil Pert (Rush). Crisp sound with ever changing rhythms which make him an integral part of every song. Guitarist, Doug Ott, delivers thick, ethereal leads that mix cohesively with Mike Geimer’s dreamy keyboard. Ott’s leads and solos will leave you with your jaw dropped, not because he showboats, but he interchanges with lush acoustics and dynamic electric leads….almost a live feeling.

What about Ed Platt, bassist? Listen to his bombtastic playing and solo on “East of Eden”…nuff said!

My next top pick, “Nighttime Sky” which has Steve Rothery on lead guitar while bouncing play with Doug Ott. Infectious melody. Haunting keyboards. Wild percussion. Cool finger picking, cymbals, shared tapping, the works!

Nighttime Sky

Of course I always pullout a ballad whenever possible…an acoustic beauty…..enjoy!

Acquaintance

Overall, this album is beautifully done. Exceptional for a debut. It really is something special….but I still don’t know what neo-prog is..
:heheh:

1713473999012.png

Link to full album playlist

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All comments are welcome!

Find member

Latest posts