Eddie and the Hot Rods singer Barrie Masters dies

Frands

Reaction score
dcx-77471257-20191002154500.jpg
_109056528_gettyimages-88756015.jpg
Barrie Masters, the lead singer of the band Eddie and the Hot Rods, has died aged 63.

The band were best known for their top 10 hit in 1977, Do Anything You Wanna Do.

Formed in Canvey Island, Essex in 1975, they were part of the pub rock scene which included Dr Feelgood and Ian Dury's band Kilburn and the High Roads.

On their website the band said: "This sudden news is a huge shock to the band and family".
Masters was the original singer of the band, and was their only constant member.

The band kicked off their career with residencies in London clubs alongside The 101ers before being signed to Island Records in the mid-1970s.

Over the years they became known for their punk style and were often considered as one of the founding groups of the genre with their loud, frenetic live sets.

They also had top 40 hits with Teenage Depression and Quit This Town.

'Fists flew'
In 1976 they made headlines when they played at London's Marquee Club while supported by The Sex Pistols, who went on to smash the Hot Rods' gear following a chaotic set.

The band's guitarist Richard Holgarth recalled Masters confronting Sex Pistols singer John Lydon - or Johnny Rotten as he was then known - over the damaged equipment.

"Fists flew but didn't necessarily make any contact," he said.

Full story at BBC:https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-49906646

R.I.P Barrie!:rip:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Sorry i missed your input here Frands...though i recall posting a few tunes that day. Eddie And The Hot Rods, where do i start?
Like this ' suppose:
Hitched down to London with little more than £10 in me pocket, waiting in the pissing rain at a Motorway intersection at 9:am dressed in car sprayed Doc Martins and a sword fencers Dasco jacket...with electrical fittings didn't guarantee a swift ride - soaked, a Fine Fare Supermarket truck eventually picked up this drowned punky rat and then dropped me off in Kew.
I tubed it to Queensway where i was meeting a girl later. Sat in a Launderette in my undies as my wet clothes clattered about in the huge yellow tumble drier. After pie n chips and several mugs of tea. My gig date turned up..essential meet as she secured the tickets earlier in the week. After nursing and bumming a few pints of Courage Tavern we headed to see Eddie & The Hot Rods. The obligatory amyl nitrate was hammered and all was set. Barrie did not disappoint- knocking out blistering versions of ( recalling best i can.)
96 Tears.
Lil' Red Riding Hood.
Get Out Of Denver.
Satisfaction ( i can't get no.)
Ignore Them.
I Might Be Lying.
Riot in Cell Block??
Anyroad i did think at the time that i had witnessed an amazing concert..not punk in it's real sense- but young electric music saying to all " **** you".
The next day...after crashing on a shit 60's couch, i limped to Brent Cross to begin the process of getting back to Nottm.
And some of Mum's cooking!
Now, whenever i hear Do Anything You Wanna Do, it takes me right back 43 years and the lengths i went to..to secure seeing a band. Hailing from the Midlands it took a while for that vibe to filter up the M1 Motorway to fags and flatcaps.
Rest easy Barrie.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online