Doors (Official Thread)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Re: The Official DOORS Thread

Just recently bought 'The Doors - Absolutely Live!' on vinyl, listened to it a few weeks ago. Great record, something about just HEARING them perform live is soo exciting!

Agreed! I feel as if The Doors were one of the few bands that sounded just as good, if not better, live as opposed to studio recordings. And Jim Morrison was easily one of the most "scandalous" frontmen of the time. Definitely made for a good show!

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score

Yeah I feel the same way with Zepp (Song Remains the Same / How the West Was Won), and many other bands. There's just something about live performances that just gives the music that extra kick...

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Yeah I feel the same way with Zepp (Song Remains the Same / How the West Was Won), and many other bands. There's just something about live performances that just gives the music that extra kick...

I know it almost makes me feel closer to the band, even if I wasn't there. I wasn't a huge fan of live albums until TSRTS. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I always have. Then I discovered How The West Was Won, which is just superb in every way imaginable.

But when it comes to The Doors, Live in New York takes the cake for me. The Doors had a crystal clear sound quality to them that almost made their live stuff seem like a studio recording (if it weren't for the crowd cheering in the background). This isn't from Live in New York, but it's a good emample of their live stuff and one of my FAVORITE Doors songs!

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score

I know it almost makes me feel closer to the band, even if I wasn't there. I wasn't a huge fan of live albums until TSRTS. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I always have. Then I discovered How The West Was Won, which is just superb in every way imaginable.

But when it comes to The Doors, Live in New York takes the cake for me. The Doors had a crystal clear sound quality to them that almost made their live stuff seem like a studio recording (if it weren't for the crowd cheering in the background). This isn't from Live in New York, but it's a good emample of their live stuff and one of my FAVORITE Doors songs!
Yeah, TSRTS was the movie that got me into Zepp...I'd heard their stuff before, but even I find it odd that I actually had to watch them live to get into them...

With the Doors, my friend was the one who actually got me into liking them. Again, I'd heard all the hits that everyone knows, but never really liked Jim's voice. But after my friend showed me some more of their stuff, I bought their Greatest Hits album on vinyl and played it when I got home. I fell in love, and bought all their albums on iTunes. Thus, started my 5 month obsession. :heheh:

Cinder

Reaction score

Woo hoo! another Doors thread :D wil have to come back to this one. Nice to see it here though :D

rtbuck

Reaction score

Great reading the praise on Absolutely Live! I always loved that record. I was glad to see it on CD packaged as The Doors in Concert years ago with the Alive She Cried live album, the popular live version of Roadhouse Blues from An american Prayer, & a couple of cuts from the Hollywood Bowl.

I've always been a fan of the band & it's wild because back in the late 70's is when I discovered them & I started out getting into them after hearing LA Woman, Riders on the Storm, & Roadhouse Blues on FM radio. I started out getting into all of the basic hits by them. I was blown away by Light My Fire ( I never knew they wrote it & I only knew Jose Feliciano's version!). At one point I picked up the Best of the Doors & really liked their version of "Who do You Love" which was live. I had to get that live album it was from plus I had been reading Danny sugarman's Book 'No one here Gets out Alive' so I couldn't wait to hear them in concert after all I had read.

Let me tell you... I may have been a Doors fan loving everything on their studio albums but to me you can't really understand what the Doors actually were until you hear that Absolutely Live album(Alive She cried as well). That whole first side is unreal from Who Do You Love it goes into that unbelievable medley of Alabama Song/Back door Man/ Love Hides/ Five to One(Robbie Krieger is on Fire on that one). Kreiger is definitely an underrated guitarist!! I always loved "Build Me a Woman" & Close to You ( A similar song written by Willie Dixon called Go No Further(You Need Meat) featuring Ray singing was on the Weird Scenes...compilation record (& on the remastered LA Woman bonus tracks)

My favorite Doors song is Soft Parade

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score

Let me tell you... I may have been a Doors fan loving everything on their studio albums but to me you can't really understand what the Doors actually were until you hear that Absolutely Live album(Alive She cried as well). That whole first side is unreal from Who Do You Love it goes into that unbelievable medley of Alabama Song/Back door Man/ Love Hides/ Five to One(Robbie Krieger is on Fire on that one). Kreiger is definitely an underrated guitarist!! I always loved "Build Me a Woman" & Close to You ( A similar song written by Willie Dixon called Go No Further(You Need Meat) featuring Ray singing was on the Weird Scenes...compilation record (& on the remastered LA Woman bonus tracks)
Krieger is an underrated guitarist, just as much as Ray Manzarek is an underrated keyboardist. All musicians in that band are superb beyond belief! But I have to say, the thing I love the most is John Densmore's jazz-influenced drumming. So beautiful sometimes to hear what beats he just thinks of off the top of his head. The man is definately a genius. The medley on 'Absolutely Live!', I agree, is totally cool....I never would have thought of those songs to mix together so well, but the Doors made it happen.

rtbuck

Reaction score

^^^^^^It's hard to find because it never was released on DVD but Densmore has a pretty funny part in the movie Get Crazy from 1983 starring Daniel Stern & Malcolm Mcdowell. He plays a crazy drummer in Mcdowell's hard rock/metal band. He has a drum solo & uses Turkey drumsticks!

Yeah that whole band was underated!

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score

^^^^^^It's hard to find because it never was released on DVD but Densmore has a pretty funny part in the movie Get Crazy from 1983 starring Daniel Stern & Malcolm Mcdowell. He plays a crazy drummer in Mcdowell's hard rock/metal band. He has a drum solo & uses Turkey drumsticks!

Yeah that whole band was underated!
Densmore also had a small role in the movie, 'The Doors'...he plays the engineer working behind the glass on the mixboard in the recording studio, when Jim records his poetry.

Sled108

Reaction score
The doors

Lets start Here...

And, we can go here..

Any other 'doors' Guys out there?..... I've got more...

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebDimond

Members online