Did Robert Plant Turn Down $14 Million for Led Zeppelin Desert Trip Reunion?

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

Led-Zeppelin-Jason-Bonham1.png

Robert Plant has gone on record repeatedly in recent years regarding his absolute disinterest in reuniting Led Zeppelin — and according to a new rumor, he may have just proved it in a really big way.

Showbiz411 columnist Roger Friedman claims Plant turned down a $14 million offer for Zeppelin to perform at the upcoming Desert Trip festival, which will feature sets from Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, the Who, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Roger Waters. That’s a hefty payday, and it only would have increased the already feverish demand for tickets, but Plant reportedly couldn’t be budged.

According to Friedman, Plant’s unwillingness was definitely not shared by co-founder Jimmy Page. “Jimmy went crazy,” an unnamed source is quoted as saying. “He really wanted to do it.”

This is all obviously hearsay, but it’s worth noting that Friedman is taking credit for breaking news of the Desert Trip festival in the first place — and that the $14 million figure is in line with the sum that the performers who eventually ended up signing on to play are reportedly being paid. Each act is said to be earning $7 million per weekend — which, as Friedman notes, means each Rolling Stone will take home less than a solo performer than McCartney.

In other Desert Trip news, Steely Dan co-founder Donald Fagen hinted at future plans for the festival during a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times, saying his band had already been approached about being part of a future lineup.

“There was some talk of us doing it next year,” said Fagen. “You know, a lot of these people are still very creative and still have the will and the charisma to make something like that successful. On some level for a musician, a job is a job, no matter what they call it. The Senior-delic Festival or whatever it’s supposed to be — we don’t care so much what it says on the sign out front.”

Read More: Did Robert Plant Turn Down $14 Million for Led Zeppelin Desert Trip Reunion? | Did Robert Plant Turn Down $14 Million for Led Zeppelin Desert Trip Reunion?

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
well he`s if this true not in it for ££££££££££££££££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
he`s in it for the music that`s cool in my book...

Lister

Reaction score
Why am I not surprised that Jimmy went crazy over Robert walking away from that type of payday? And really, should Jimmy even be surprised at this point?
Plant (and I'd add JPJ too) has always been one who has looked forward instead of dwelling in the past and I have nothing but respect for his point of view. I think Robert is more than comfortable to let LZ reside in the annals of history, where as Jimmy just can't or won't let it go. Seeing that the initial recording of Celebration Day is almost 9 years old, does anyone really think Robert's voice will be better than then? Honestly, with father time closing in, the Celebration Day concert is probably as good a recording of Zep's live work as we are going to get and I'm guessing Robert is just fine with leaving it as such.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
If Robert had been remotely interested in revisiting the whole Led Zep thing (and I'm talking about the last three and a half decades) it would never have died. Jimmy is absolutely tied into that period of his life, whereas Robert is continually moving forward and trying new stuff. I read a recent interview with Jimmy and he was promising a new album. I'm not holding my breath - he's beginning to sound like Roger Waters :gig

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Must be nice to have the financial stability to walk away from a 14 million dollar payday just for hanging out in the desert for a weekend with old friends and singing for a couple of hours.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Same story we've been hearing for over a decade. Whether it's true or not, that's most likely what would have happened if they had asked.

As for Steely Dan being on next year's bill.... Not sure I buy THAT. Looks like they're aiming at much larger acts for this festival. Unless next year they plan to open it up with several stages, the way most of these festivals do. Then I could see smaller acts getting included.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sundaytakako

Members online