Dead Can Dance

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Dead-Can-Dance-r02.jpg

Dead Can Dance are an Australian duo consisting of Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard. They were active between 1981 to 1998, and briefly reformed in 2005. During this time they recorded 7 studio albums of broad scoped music, incorporating influences and themes from all over the world while retaining a dark ambience.

Despite my first listen being last week, I already have all but their final album, and each one has sounded more awesome than the last. I'm posting the album art because it's just as beautiful as the music, so here it is:

Dead Can Dance (1984)
7546c060ada02abeadd2c110.L._AA300_.jpg

Spleen And Ideal (1986)
05060387.jpg

Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun (1987)
419CT0MMXPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Serpent's Egg (1988)
Serpent_egg_-_dead_can_dance_-_front.jpg

Aion (1990)
05060383.jpg

Into The Labryinth (1993)
8Remastered%29-by-Dead-Can-Dance_73aRxW2lKzox_full.png

Spiritchaser (1996)
64533.jpg

And some of the music itself:

So far my overall favourite is their third effort, Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun. The music covers such a wide variety of sounds that you have to listen to it yourself though, so what are your comments?

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Salmacis !! What an inspiring band you have chosen here :cheers2
I am really pleased you have taken a shine to them and collecting their incredible music.
I have just been on wiki and seen how many limited edition live albums DEAD CAN DANCE made....yikes too many to collect!!!
I have 4 of their albums so far....my fave being the 1st which is incredibly "gothic":bow: the vocals of Lisa Gerrard are so haunting and mesmerising.This track is also one of my fave videos ever!!!!! Check out Lisas impressive style and " yangqin" playing [ chinese musical instrument :D ]

Since DEAD CAN DANCE split 98 there has also been solo albums by Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry..........
Then after that you may have to check out other bands on the 4ad label Cocteau Twins,This Mortal Coil and Clan of Xymox...etc great listening

Attachments

• DeadCanDance_DeadCanDance_cd.jpg
    DeadCanDance_DeadCanDance_cd.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Thanks Lou! I just love the atmosphere the music gives off while listening, it's really good stuff! :cheers2

As for other bands on the label, I've heard of the Cocteau Twins before but not the other two so I'll check them out later on.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I wish Id seen them "live" ......check this out...you can only say this is brilliant !!

...........check out the character on the drums :D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I stumbled upon an album by Dead Can Dance by mistake. I was searching for a band called "Beyond the Labyrinth" and google brought up "Into the Labyrinth". So......I youtubed the album.

67972.jpg

The album has such a mesmerizing mix of sounds, most of which I find to be quite sexy as well as ambient:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
How could I miss the post about the album in my avatar? :heheh:

It's truly haunting, enchanting and moody music. Brendan and Lisa add much emotion to their singing as well, the complete package is just an indescribable and awesome!

I am bumping this thread however, because I recently picked up their latest album, Spiritchaser, which also means I now have all their studio albums. :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Picked up this album recently through a recommendation:

dead-can-dance-the-serpents-egg.jpg

Definitely diggin it. I've given it at least 2 listens so far, and haven't heard many flaws with it, if any. I've never really gotten into the World Music genre, so this'll probably be a boost to really dive it. :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
^^ The Serpent's Egg is many a fan's favourite album :grinthumb They don't have anything bad in their whole discography though IMO!

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I am going to look into getting more of their work. I'm really diggin it. Gave Serpents Egg another listen today. Definitely going to become a regular listen for me.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
...I too have recently purchased "The Serpents Egg " to add to my DEAD CAN DANCE collection :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online