Dave Clark Five & Spencer Davis Group

Zombeels

Reaction score
So I was going through some of my CDs of these two bands and I noticed not one album was in stereo yet I have vinyl copies that are. Did they lose the original stereo tapes or is some clod only releasing mono mixes? I demand answers.

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
I have not seen any mono cd's but I will have to watch for them. I don't need no mo mono fo sure.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
So I was going through some of my CDs of these two bands and I noticed not one album was in stereo yet I have vinyl copies that are. Did they lose the original stereo tapes or is some clod only releasing mono mixes? I demand answers.

I just checked Amazon .. this is unfortunately "currently unavailable" ... :wa

515ZGRNPMPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
I would actually play some of those vinyl records to hear whether proper stereo separation is indeed evident. Your LPs may have actually been recorded for mono release and then the tapes were "electronically reprocessed for stereo" (as many a record jacket said) a year or so later when stereo really started to catch on in the late sixties. The crude technique used in those days to get some degree of stereo separation from a mono mix was actually recapturing the sound after running it through an echo chamber.

There is of course no excuse these days for not taking the original mono tapes and separating them out into stereo using modern techniques with which different frequencies can easily be captured separately.

:drums:

Zombeels

Reaction score
They are true stereo and I'm starting to find some stereo mixes of certain songs.

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
There is of course no excuse these days for not taking the original mono tapes and separating them out into stereo using modern techniques with which different frequencies can easily be captured separately.

Yeah, and there's no excuse for not colorizing movies, when it can be done so easily, these days.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I'm not pleased with the stereo "separation" of my Stones' albums prior to 1967. It's not really noticeable. Very annoying to be sure.

:wtf:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Yeah, and there's no excuse for not colorizing movies, when it can be done so easily, these days.

Colourizing films is enormously more troublesome and expensive. That has to be done frame by frame with human oversight every step of the way. Separating out musical frequencies one from another can probably be done on a home computer.

:pirate:

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
Colourizing films is enormously more troublesome and expensive. That has to be done frame by frame with human oversight every step of the way. Separating out musical frequencies one from another can probably be done on a home computer.

:pirate:

Maybe but I think you're missing my point.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Did not. I just chose to ignore your point because it lacks merit. (I don't see that old movies gained anything from being in black and white. If you really want that "film noire" effect, you can always turn the brightness level of your TV down. Me, I just won't be watching.)

:rolleyes:

Similarly, mono always makes me scowl. Vinyl I like - but three dimensional movement of the stylus in a record's grooves can be harnessed to produce two separate channels by placing magnetic coils at a 90 degree angle to each other and I enjoy that benefit.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.