Counting Crows

countingcrows.jpg

http://www.countingcrows.com/

Discography:

August and Everything After (1993)
Recovering the Satellites (1996)
This Desert Life (1999)
Hard Candy (2002)
Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings (2008)

My first experience with this band was actually making fun of them. When their first single

Mr. Jones

came out one of my best friends laughed our ass off mocking the song and especially making fun of the video. Seeing this dreadlocked hippy giddily jumping up and down about some "Mr. Jones" seemed like the corniest thing ever at the time. :lmao: It wasn't until years later that I would even grow into liking that song. After Mr. Jones came out I was shocked to see their next song. When I first saw the video for

Round Here

I wasn't laughing at all. It was something I can just best describe as powerful, poetic, artistic, etc. A single and video that sounded/looked way to much like art to sell commercially. After that I never heard a single I didn't like from the band.

In college, I finally bought
August and Everything After
countingcrows-august.jpg

and like any good album I had to listen to it from beginning to end. After that c.d. I bought the rest of the catalog and haven't stopped yet!

My favorite c.d. after August and Everything After is
This Desert Life.
This%20Desert%20Life_f.jpg

It really shows the most range from them IMO! Here are some tracks:

Hanging Around
(great catchy pop single)

Colorblind
(my favorite CC song! Such a gorgeous melancholy song!)

Mrs. Potters Lullabye
(the 7+ minute song designed for live jamming!
Like the lyric:
If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts)

To sum things up I take Counting Crows as nothing but serious now! That free spirit and intimacy from Adam Duritz that once seemed goofy in the Mr. Jones video is now what I love about their music. I've rarely seen an artist that writes, sings and performs with as much vulnerability as Adam. They are one of those bands that have jam tendencies which I normally hate but it seems to work with them. I would lOVE to see them live. I've heard nothing but good things about their shows. In fact, a friend of mine who's a metal head said they were the best live show he's seen. I'm truly jealous! So enough about me! Any other fans here? :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Re: Counting Crows

I only have Hard Candy, and to be honest it seems pretty hit or miss to me. The songs Carriage, Butterfly In Reverse, If I Could Give All My Love Or Richard Manuel Is Dead and 4 White Stallions are fantastic, but I simply can't get into much else from that album. And I can't stand Big Yellow Taxi >.>

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I only have Hard Candy, and to be honest it seems pretty hit or miss to me. The songs Carriage, Butterfly In Reverse, If I Could Give All My Love Or Richard Manuel Is Dead and 4 White Stallions are fantastic, but I simply can't get into much else from that album. And I can't stand Big Yellow Taxi >.>

It just happens that that is my least favorite c.d. from them. I hope that doesn't sway you from buying anything else from them. :D

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

One of those bands that got under my skin fairly slow, but they DID after all :):):)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

The last album they released

Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings
counting-crows.jpg

was an awesome c.d. that had some hard rocking stuff mixed with some introspective tunes. The single was great and was the hardest edge I've ever heard the Crows have!

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Counting Crows Thread

I'm a huge fan of August and Everything After and Recovering the Satellites. After that they dropped off pretty badly. I like Mrs. Potter's Lullaby and a handful of tracks after the first two, but for the most part I lost interest.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I'm a huge fan of August and Everything After and Recovering the Satellites. After that they dropped off pretty badly. I like Mrs. Potter's Lullaby and a handful of tracks after the first two, but for the most part I lost interest.

I respect your opinion, but I never felt the drop off like you. Honestly, and Sal would probably disagree, the only disappointment for me as far as an album I couldn't get into was Hard Candy. It's cool though that this is a band just in this thread alone that has people divided over their pretty lengthy catalog. :grinthumb

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score

I've gotten so much shit from my friends for thinking Counting Crows is okay.

I'm originally from Omaha, and it's really that much of a coincidence because who talks about the midwest let alone the same city you're from.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not going to lie Grunge! I'm shocked myself that you like them but that shows me for being an assuming bastard! :D Both songs are good as well, particularly Omaha! I like the chorus on that one! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaldoFrey

Members online