Compilations - Atlantic Jazz: Soul

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
I bought the cd version of this album in the early '90s and it was what turned me on to Yusef Lateef. Oh, man, that song, "Russell & Elliot", just a mad groove impossible to ignore. It also turned me on to the Les McCann & Eddie Harris partnership with the song "Compared to What". So all through the past 20 years I would pop this bad-boy on and just be taken. There are plenty of other awesome tracks on the disc.

What I didn't know was that the cd contained only a portion of the tracks on the album. Likely because I never bothered reading any of the disc other than track listings.

A couple weeks I saw that my local record store had a minty copy of the actual album. I wasn't there for that but debated whether to buy it or not. I did not. BUt I also didn't stop thinking about it. I couldn't believe someone actually parted with this fabulous album but I was there for something else.

Last week-end it was still there so I snatched it up and made the purchase. One of the reasons I didn't immediately buy it was because I already had the cd but upon further inspection I noticed the album had more tracks.

I didn't listen to it right away when I returned home or even within the next few days but I popped it on last night and it hasn't stopped spinning since. As I type I am listening to album 1 side 2 again and it's glorious. Of course, you have to like goovy soul, as I do. The album just drips of it.

The folks at Atlantic assembled an excellent representation of soul jazz with this album. If you are into this type of music at all you owe it to yourself to find a copy. I lucked out with the one I found as the previous owner cared for this or never played it; it's in terrific shape.

The album itself is quiet and even the subdued sounds are present with full clarity and oomph. The quiet meandering of "Comin' Home, Baby", while soft-spoken, is present as thunder.

Check it out

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVuizAQqI5A

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online