Bruce Springsteen-Light of Day Concert Last Night

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Absolutely JG - can't wait for the new album.

Tell you what, there, just for you I changed my sig!!!...though it's not a patch on your ace Bruce sig, and I've put him up there with my other joint #1 all time favourite singer/songwriter, so I have Bruce 'The Boss' Springsteen and Van 'The Man' Morrison.

Love that Thunder Road clip, that's what I meant about Bruce being a poet, and it was never better demonstrated than in Thunder Road, nobody for my money ever wrote lyrics that send a shiver down your spine quite like ...

"There were ghosts in the eyes of all the boys you sent away,
They haunt this dusty beach road in the skeleton frames of burned-out Chevrolets
They scream your name at night in the street
Your graduation gown lies in rags at their feet
In the lonely cool before dawn
You hear their engines roaring on
But when you get to the porch they're gone on the wind, so Mary climb in
It's a town full of losers and we're pulling out of here to win"

Love it :grinthumb

:grinthumb As you can see in my sig, Thunder Road is absolutely one of my favorites. Love the lyrics.

And I love your new sig! :D

Any sax player?

As far as I know, no sax. As Sound said, it wasn't an ESB show. I know there was some kind of reference to Clarence last night though and that Bruce put his hand to his heart and said something. Not exactly sure what was said...I just heard the tail end of it on the radio this morning. Whatever is decided in regards to Clarence though, I'm sure it will be handled with class.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
The videos from last night keep coming out. :D

Incident On 57th Street

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comment on my sig JG! Another great link from you here... I love seeing Bruce re-visiting these great old songs like 57th Street, wish he did it more often, one of my Top 5 Bruce songs is The Angel from the Asbury Park album, but as far as I know he has never performed it live, I will keep waiting!

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Another good song. He very rarely plays it live (he actually did a couple of times), but Bruce always surprises so you never know. ;)

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Another article about Light of Day Concert from UltimateClassicRock.

LINK: Bruce Springsteen Rocks Around the Clock at ‘Light of Day’ Benefit

bruce1.jpg

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN ROCKS AROUND THE CLOCK AT ‘LIGHT OF DAY’ BENEFIT

t’s one of the worst-kept secrets in all of New Jersey. Every year, the Light of Day organization holds a benefit concert at the Paramount Theater in Asbury Park to raise money for the fight against Parkinson’s disease, and (almost) every year Bruce Springsteen is a super secret unannounced special guest. It’s the reason this year’s show sold out in minutes — even when tickets had a face value upwards of $400.

It’s the assumption that Bruce will show up that makes it all happen, and fans once again got what they came (and paid) for Saturday night during the 12th annual Light of Day fest. The Boss turned up in a big way, making guest appearances during sets by New York cult singer Garland Jeffreys, fellow NYC rocker Willie Nile and Southside Johnny And The Poor Fools (featuring E Street Band violinist Soozie Tyrell) before bringing down the house with his second-ever solo acoustic performance of ‘Incident On 57th Street.’

From there, Bruce was joined by Pittsburgh singer-songwriter and longtime friend Joe Grushecky (that’s them pictured together performing at the fest above) and the backing band the Houserockers for a set featuring both Springsteen songs and tunes that he wrote with Grushecky in the ’90s. The outfit busted out an eclectic set including multiple cuts from both the ‘Darkness On The Edge of Town’ and ‘Nebraska’ eras before more guests hit the stage and Bruce went on a tear, closing things out with ‘Because The Night,’ ‘Waiting On A Sunny Day,’ ‘Promised Land,’ ‘Twist and Shout’ and the sing-along finale ‘Thunder Road.’

By then Bruce’s 16-song set had pushed the hands on the clock well past 2AM, and it was time to go. But maybe, just maybe, Bruce will be back again next year for more.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Here's a really nice article from musician Rob Dye about performing with Bruce during Light of Day.

LINK: Jamming With Bruce Springsteen At Light Of Day | American Songwriter

Bruce Springsteen looked over at me and the musicians on the stage and said, “If you know the song, play along.” How could we not, being that we were all disciples of his music? With that blessing and a “1, 2, 3, 4” the impromptu band and I were on a ride into “The Promised Land.”

Springsteen is many things to many people. One certainty is that he lives to be on the stage. When he hits the spotlight, the switch is turned on. Nothing amazed me more than seeing him casually chat and laugh it up with people backstage and then walk out, slay the audience with a solo acoustic version of “Incident on 57th Street” and walk back with a casual “So, as I was saying …” to his friends. Just another day at the office perhaps, but an inspiration to everyone watching.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusanStone

Members online