Brainbox%2B%25281969%2529.jpg

Official Website

Brainbox (lp)|Brainbox (1969)
The Best Of Brainbox (1971 )
Parts (1972)
To You (1972)
A History (1979)
Brainbox (1979)
The Very Best Brainbox Album Ever (2002)
The Last Train live (2004)
The 3rd Flood (2011)

I discovered this band per chance as I am not old enough to have heard them first time round but they are fantastic.

Brainbox are a Dutch rock group from the late 1960s / early 1970s. They were founded in Amsterdam by guitarist Jan Akkerman, drummer Pierre van der Linden & singer Kazimir Lux. Their debut single was "Down Man", which has a very progressive blues sound. They had several hit singles in the Netherlands, including "Between Alpha and Omega", "Doomsday Train", Reason to Believe and "Smile". Soon after they released their first album, Akkerman and van der Linden left the group to join Focus, you can hear their influences on the first album. After van der linden and Akkerman left, Brainbox bass player Cyril Havermans also followed to join Focus, replacing original bass player Bert Ruiter. They were replaced by guitarists Herman Meyer and Rudie de Quelijoe and drummer Frans Smit. Meyer was later replaced by John Schuursma. After Kaz Lux left the group in 1971, their popularity waned and they split up in 1972.

In 2004 Kaz Lux reassembled the band (though without Jan Akkerman) and they performed in the Netherlands. In 2010 and 2011 de band performed again en recorded a new studio album The 3rd Flood.

The first album is a real treat and when you listen to "Dark Rose" you can definitely hear that focus sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
They sound good to me Sweaty...I was never a big Focus fan, I bought one of their records and didn't really bother with them after that.

I'll look around but I am sure Brainbox albums will be hard to find.:think:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^And the musical legend of "Sir Sweaty of Chesterfield" grows ever larger...:grinthumb

Thanks my friend, I'll see what I can find.:hab:

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Brainbox are indeed a fine group, one of Holland's best. Later Jan Akkerman made an album with Kaz Lux, the singer of brainbox. Very interesting low key/funky music.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Thanks very much, have located a CD and has been ordered, another one to the mountain of cd's I have and there are still more to buy:)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online