Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I'm not sure what Dylan will make of this, but his genius needed to be recognised in the highest possible way. He will surely be remembered as one of the most gifted and extraordinary artists of the 20th century.

SophiaL

Reaction score
Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize in Literature

Half a century ago, Bob Dylan shocked the music world by plugging in an electric guitar and alienating folk purists. For decades he continued to confound expectations, selling millions of records with dense, enigmatic songwriting.

Now, Mr. Dylan, the poet laureate of the rock era, has been rewarded with the Nobel Prize in Literature, an honor that elevates him into the company of T. S. Eliot, Gabriel García Márquez, Toni Morrison and Samuel Beckett.

Mr. Dylan, 75, is the first musician to win the award, and his selection on Thursday is perhaps the most radical choice in a history stretching back to 1901. In choosing a popular musician for the literary world’s highest honor, the Swedish Academy, which awards the prize, dramatically redefined the boundaries of literature, setting off a debate about whether song lyrics have the same artistic value as poetry or novels.

Mistral Wind

Reaction score
In choosing a popular musician for the literary world’s highest honor, the Swedish Academy, which awards the prize, dramatically redefined the boundaries of literature, setting off a debate about whether song lyrics have the same artistic value as poetry or novels.

It did not redefined anything, in my opinion!
It just recalls to us all that music and literature are intertwined.
Old poems by greek and latin authors were sung and played with instruments.
Plus, in its own way, music is a language, even when just instrumental (but this one is just my opinion).

I'm glad Dylan got the Nobel Prize. Some songwriters are real talented poets...
We have a great tradition of such kind of songwriting, in Italy... lyrics by Fabrizio De André or Francesco Guccini ARE literature... and this must be acknowledged.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online