Blue October (Official Thread)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well Sooty, it took a bit but "Any Man is America" has finally grown on my. I immediately liked songs at the beginning of the album but the second half took a bit more time for me to get a taste for. The pissed off, very personal rap parts (which I did not see coming) remind me of to what Eminem does and while I was not instantly get sucked in like with Em I did warm up to the pissed off rap section of the album. I was well worth the buy. :D

Also, there was a Blue October concert tonight in Cleveland but I didn't end up going. It's not that I didn't have the money or that I didn't want to go but I just didn't have a concert co-pilot and I really don't like going to concerts with out one. Turns out though that my friend Jared went (which I wish I would have known) and I think you might like this a bit...

299711_2439970967516_1499056181_2617517_123139717_n.jpg

He's the little fella with the black hair and piercings.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Oh really awesome!!! :grinthumb Who's the nice looking lady? His girlfriend? :D

I would have gone with ya Cosmic or made you go if I was in the area! :heheh: They are great live and have a great concert following wherever they go. It's really an experience! :grinthumb

I REALLY appreciate how you gave the album more than one honest chance and that the effect was positive. I know how it can throw people off but I respect that Justin made an artistic decision to add a genre influence that he likes and I believe he's actually giving props to Eminem in this verse:

"I'll let you know you set
The standards lyrically for me
One single middle finger
Say raise it up
My speech will always be free
Like Martin Luther King
You had meaning to me
Single-handedly saving music starving industry
A hip hop legend with skin like invisible ink
Black even though he was whiter than me
He was the first to be colorless
Speaking for all of us
Then you let us into your family
Mother father brother sister wife daughter
Damn right in front of me"

It was a bold album and a risk taker but perfect because it was crafted towards one persons ambitions. I honestly prefer it that way. I don't like albums spread out to appease a band. It's convoluted. I like a single vision controlled by one artist. I know it supports egocentrics and control freaks but that's the world of an artist. Don't get me wrong. The band is important but they should be the "craft" and backbone of the process. In this album the players may have been buried in the mix behind Justins vocals but the band still did their part and likely will rectify and play their cards for the live show! Thanks for posting that Cosmic! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea who that girl is honestly. Considering how so many of my male friend do not usually favor the fairer sex though I think I can confidently say that I don't think she's his girlfriend. :heheh:

You wouldn't have had to make my go if you were in my area. It'd be far to voluntary for me to have to be force. ;) Also, if you lived close I would probably be loaning you CDs left and right (since I have a habit of doing that) instead of just littering your Facebook wall with videos every now and again. We would move and groove and have glorious adventures. :D

And yes, I caught that reference and it furthered the connection for me. You should know that I give albums more than one try though. I need to get my money's worth, right? :tongue: No but seriously, it had me intrigued quite a bit from the get go and being that you spoke so highly of it I knew it would grow on me sooner or later (I regret to say that "Boys for Pele" did not share a similar fate) and what's more I bought it on the same day as the new Dream Theater album and have only listened to the latter once in order to favor Blue October. :D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea who that girl is honestly. Considering how so many of my male friend do not usually favor the fairer sex though I think I can confidently say that I don't think she's his girlfriend. :heheh:

You wouldn't have had to make my go if you were in my area. It'd be far to voluntary for me to have to be force. ;) Also, if you lived close I would probably be loaning you CDs left and right (since I have a habit of doing that) instead of just littering your Facebook wall with videos every now and again. We would move and groove and have glorious adventures. :D

And yes, I caught that reference and it furthered the connection for me. You should know that I give albums more than one try though. I need to get my money's worth, right? :tongue: No but seriously, it had me intrigued quite a bit from the get go and being that you spoke so highly of it I knew it would grow on me sooner or later (I regret to say that "Boys for Pele" did not share a similar fate) and what's more I bought it on the same day as the new Dream Theater album and have only listened to the latter once in order to favor Blue October. :D

Now unless the Dream Theatre album was a HUGE drop amongst fans that is a HUGE comp;liment to Blue October! :bow: I think we need to shrink the amount of milage between all members so I can always have concert buddies around because I'm severely lacking that here. We would have had an awesome time Cosmic! :grinthumb I don't mind the facebook dropins but seriously it'd be far easier driving to a show with my I-pod in my car going "Try this, and this, oh and this, and this......." :heheh: And to think, I only got two songs into my initial review! :heheh: It seems like I have to work less hard for results now! :oyea:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well I've heard good things about it "A Dramatic Turn of Events" but I've also heard that it takes a bit to grow on you and between "Welcome 2 My Nightmare", the above album, Lou Reed's "Transformer" (which I have fallen in love with), rediscovering my adoration for Frank Zappa's "Joe's Garage", and so on I've just not had the time to really give it proper listening space.
I'd imagine in addition to concert buddies you probably don't have a lot of popular venues out there in the middle of nowhere. :D
Oh believe me, I would be dish out just as many things for you to try as well. :heheh: Speaking of which I may have to pick out something to stick on your wall now. ;)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Well I've heard good things about it "A Dramatic Turn of Events" but I've also heard that it takes a bit to grow on you and between "Welcome 2 My Nightmare", the above album, Lou Reed's "Transformer" (which I have fallen in love with), rediscovering my adoration for Frank Zappa's "Joe's Garage", and so on I've just not had the time to really give it proper listening space.
I'd imagine in addition to concert buddies you probably don't have a lot of popular venues out there in the middle of nowhere. :D
Oh believe me, I would be dish out just as many things for you to try as well. :heheh: Speaking of which I may have to pick out something to stick on your wall now. ;)

:grinthumb Sounds good! We have an alright selection in state but not the greatest when it comes to popular but not hugely popular acts! We'll get the huge acts like Nickelback, Disturbed, Korn, Three Doors Down ,etc. You know redneck friendly popular rock acts! :heheh: Then if we are lucky we'll get the middle of the popularity road acts like Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, etc. that are solid bands! Then it's a little sprinkling on the outside fringes of who might slip in somehow! :tongue: And to stay on subject I DID see Blue October in NH with Switchfoot and Ours! I'lll call that somewhere between the middle popularity and the sprinklings! :heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well if you were in my area you'd have a much wider array of acts coming through since Cleveland is a pretty popular concert destination if only so the band can yell out "Hello Cleveland!" at the top of the show. :heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online

No members online now.