Birmingham .England. Was there something in the water there ?

Cincinnatus

Reaction score
Plant . Halford . Ozzy . Bonham . Paice . Butler .Iommi...Was there something in the water in Birmingham England during this period ? The talent that came from Birmingham during this period changed rock music .What other cities can claim a similar legacy in the music world ? Memphis perhaps ? What do you all think ?

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Detroit........Motown..........the home of Soul and R & B.

The Supremes, Mavin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, The Commodores, Michael Jackson, and many many more!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I would be curious to see a list of artists from London, and New York...I am sure both might have a lot of stellar musicians that were born and raised there.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
thats true but those performers werent natives of Detroit .

OKay I get ya......let me think abou this a bit. My best guess would be California, Los Angeles or Hollywood.

Cincinnatus

Reaction score
I would be curious to see a list of artists from London, and New York...I am sure both might have a lot of stellar musicians that were born and raised there.

what was particularly remarkable about Birmingham during this period is that all these musicans were roughly the same age and all became stars around the same span of 5 or 6 yrs . I have heard it sais that the sound of machinery ( Birmingham is an industrial town)influenced alot of the heavy sounds that would come from there . Also I can't leave Nick Mason of Floyd or the great Steve Winwood off this list with a clear conscience . I am sure there are more too..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Sounds like a magical moment in Birmingham took place for all that talent to rise and take the music world by storm in the span of a few years.

Have to say I think Seattle has a huge legacy of bands from the 90's that came out together. I am not an expert on that but I'm sure P&C and some of our younger members could tell us about them.

2ngrdja.jpg

hawk11

Reaction score

Off the top of my head from the Big Apple :

Kiss
New York Dolls
Anthrax
Manowar
Living Colour
The Ramones
Pat Benatar
Type O Negative
Twisted Sister
Blues Magoos
Collision
Sir Lord Baltimore
Dust
Ronnie James Dio
Lou Reed
Billy Joel
Blackie Lawless
Steve Tyler
Joey Kramer
Jimmy Crespo
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Billy Sheehan
Leslie West
Felix Pappalardi
Carmine Appice
Vinny Appice

Last edited:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Have to say I think Seattle has a huge legacy of bands from the 90's that came out together. I am not an expert on that but I'm sure P&C and some of our younger members could tell us about them.

2ngrdja.jpg

There were a lot of bands that originated from Seattle back in the 90's, but most specifically, before the 90's you had the Grunge era that Seattle brought into the world. As for bands in any era, were talkin Pink Floyd, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Tad, Soundgarden, and a lot more. Seattle is generally based around it's music, and very much into it's underground scene, specifically the hip hop scene. It's very low key, and a lot of great hip hop artists come from here.

It's a great city for music.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online