Billy Corgan vs Radiohead

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

BILLY CORGAN Blasts RADIOHEAD - June 13, 2012
According to The Pulse Of Radio, SMASHING PUMPKINS frontman Billy Corgan has blasted RADIOHEAD in a new interview with NME, saying that the British band is part of a current cultural view of rock music that he can't stand. Corgan explained, "I can't think of any people outside of Weird Al Yankovic who have both embraced and pissed on rock more than I have . . . there's a level of reverence, but there's also a level of intelligence to even know what to piss on." He added, "Because I'm not pissing on RAINBOW. I'm not pissing on DEEP PURPLE. But I'll piss on ****ing RADIOHEAD, because of all this pomposity. This value system that says (RADIOHEAD guitarist) Jonny Greenwood is more valuable than (PURPLE guitarist) Ritchie Blackmore. Not in the world I grew up in."

Corgan added, "Is Ritchie Blackmore a better guitar player than me and Jonny Greenwood? Yes. Have we all made contributions? Yes. I'm not attacking that. I'm attacking the pomposity that says this is more valuable than that. I'm sick of that. I'm so ****ing sick of it, and nobody seems to tire of it."

The PUMPKINS founder and sole original member also blasts the political and social impact of rock music in the interview, saying, "The world has never been more dangerous than it is right now, and we have a limp, impotent artistic response to the situation," adding that he should be "celebrated as a radical."

Corgan and the current version of the PUMPKINS release a new studio album, "Oceania", next Tuesday (June 19).

The disc follows up 2007's "Zeitgeist", which was the first PUMPKINS album since the original band dissolved in 2000.

The PUMPKINS will play a private record release show in New York City on Tuesday, and plan to play the Oceania record in its entirety at that gig and other upcoming tour dates.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Billy, I just loved your new album but "Shut the **** up dude!" :oyea: I know you are insane and just as pompous as Thom Yorke when you open your mouth. Musically you know how to make your music a lot less pompous than Radiohead without dumbing it down. That's why I'm a Pumpkins fan! A huge one! I don't even like Radiohead much but do you seriously need to be on the Axl Rose, Sammy Hagar, etc. list of eccentric assholes I wish would just perform and stop shitting out of their mouths! :D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Hey but Cprgan is a RUSH fan and I like THAT!! :grinthumb

Yeah, but Rush seems to keep there mouths shut about everything that goes through there heads. I hate when rock stars always use their platform to whine about shit and go after other artist. To me the only role they should have is to talk about what they are doing personally in their own music.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I agree with boring guitarists getting more credit than more complex virtuosos, who got into the history of rock 'n' roll and metal. Ridiculously stupid.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I agree with boring guitarists getting more credit than more complex virtuosos, who got into the history of rock 'n' roll and metal. Ridiculously stupid.

I don't agree with the endless comparisons. I don't really connect Radiohead as a guitar band but then again I think Smoke In The Water may be one of the most overrated guitar riffs ever. Regardless, if you are a fan of either band you are going to rate that bands guitar playing as best. Sometimes it really is that simple and should be. Billy is just pandering for brownie points at this juncture and attacking one of his peers in a petty manner.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
He's really referring to critic praise right???

I mean you're right Sooty, Radiohead is really not a "guitar" band, and Blackmore is a strong player who knows his stuff.

But I see what you're saying, that rock stars need to worry about themselves and not get into the mud slinging. Actually it's big of you to say so, and SINCERE as well considering the Pumpkins are like your top band.

Shows you don't play favorites when it comes to this issue. :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It isn't just artists as well who I think should focus on their respective bands, its the fans in particular too. Too much of this us v them with eras and bands among fans.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
He's really referring to critic praise right???

I mean you're right Sooty, Radiohead is really not a "guitar" band, and Blackmore is a strong player who knows his stuff.

But I see what you're saying, that rock stars need to worry about themselves and not get into the mud slinging. Actually it's big of you to say so, and SINCERE as well considering the Pumpkins are like your top band.

Shows you don't play favorites when it comes to this issue. :grinthumb

I don't. I really don't hold the person who plays the music on a pedestal. The music itself is what I praise. Whether it be just one of us, a friend of mine personally or a musician I think it's really a waste of time to bitch about music artist. You either like them or you don't. If you don't move on. When a music artist does it it's extra annoying. For every peg you try to knock one artist off of there's another person who could knock you off a peg. Shut up and play. I have artist I don't care for. I can joke about it but don't harp on it or take it seriously. Music should never be harped on in a negative context. It's a waste of a beautiful thing. Sports are more about the competitive buffoonery than the arts should be. It makes me wish these people were mute outside of a recording studio.

It isn't just artists as well who I think should focus on their respective bands, its the fans in particular too. Too much of this us v them with eras and bands among fans.

This! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Oh fans vs. fans can get 100 x worse.....:heheh:

Musicians can get along much easier , talkin' shop and all that, no matter the genre. I can play metal and still chat with a guy who plays easy listening and we'll see eye to eye on just about everything.

From gear, technique, you name it. Happens all the time, and yes, we do laugh about fan battles, and sometimes laugh and complain about poor billing, when it happens, which it does from time to time, and support each other.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.