Bill Graham Treasure Trove to be Released ! ! !

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
Hidden hoard of live rock to be released

John Harlow, Los Angeles
July 16, 2006

THE world’s largest independent rock and pop music archive, featuring stars from Jimi Hendrix to Elvis Costello and from Janis Joplin to Madonna, is to be opened for the first time.

Up to 100,000 songs recorded and filmed between 1966 and 1991 by Bill Graham, the American concert promoter, languished in an underground basement in San Francisco for more than 10 years after his death.

Then it was bought by Bill Sagan, a health company executive turned rock entrepreneur, who has now launched negotiations aimed at securing the stars’ permission to release their music. This weekend he was flying to London for talks with lawyers representing British rockers such as Led Zeppelin and the Who.

The archive contains unseen footage of a legendary performance by the Who in 1973, when drummer Keith Moon collapsed and a student was picked from the audience to finish the show, and the final concert in 1978 by the Sex Pistols.

There are unknown performances by Led Zeppelin such as a version of Howlin’ Wolf’s Killing Floor, which they later rewrote as the Lemon Song, and a tousle-headed Elton John singing his 1970 ballad Your Song.

There are also moments luminaries may prefer to forget, such as Joe Cocker vomiting on stage and Madonna hitting herself in the face with her chunky necklaces. All were pitilessly captured by Graham’s photographers or, in later years, four cameramen.

Graham, born Wolfgang Grajonca in **** Berlin, was described by Joplin as the first concert promoter to respect the artists and give them what they wanted, both on and off stage.

As a result, normally wary performers such as Frank Zappa and Bob Dylan signed contracts that allowed him to record their concerts at venues he managed in New York and California.

Graham hoarded everything, from ticket stubs and backstage passes to psychedelic Jefferson Airplane posters and surplus Duran Duran T-shirts.

When Graham died in a helicopter crash in 1991, he had packed an air-conditioned cellar with 30m artefacts. Three years ago his corporate heirs sold it for £2.9m to Sagan, a Led Zeppelin fan from Minnesota, who joked that he had only snapped it up for the garish Zeppelin tour ties. He beat Paul Allen, the Microsoft billionaire, to the deal.

Now, having spent months going through enough boxes to fill 25 40ft-long lorries when he moved the archive to a more secure warehouse, Sagan estimates his trove could be worth more than £50m.

Sagan, 56, has already started recouping his investment by selling off posters and tickets through an internet site called Wolfgang’s Vault. But he believes the 7,000-plus concerts captured on audio tape and film are his prize asset.

In February Sagan started gauging rock fans’ reactions by broadcasting live recordings by Bob Marley, Bruce Springsteen and Chuck Berry over his internet radio station. He was inundated with e-mails asking for more.

Some of the shows, such as Aretha Franklin at the Fillmore West in 1971, have been officially released, albeit in truncated form, and others are to be found on bootlegs. But most of the music has been heard only by those who were lucky enough to be there at the time.

Jimmy Page, of Led Zeppelin, who spent years begging for scraps from bootleggers so that he could compile a history of the band in 2003, is keen to dive into the archive.

“Bill recorded a San Francisco show that Jimmy remembers as momentous: which Zep fan would not want to hear that?” said an Atlantic Records source last week.

deezee

Reaction score
i can't wait for this stuff to come out..... been waiting since wolfgang's vault went online. i have a really bad video version of a led zep performance at the fillmore and a few others (allmans,van morrison etc) but to be able to get them in first generation pristine shape with great audio??? amazing. i hope that some of the really old stuff is on video from the late 60's both east and west and maybe even winterland. if they have steel mill on video from 1969 it'll be like finding the holy grail for springsteen fans.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
I heard one of Wolfgangs / Jimi live @ Winterland recordings a while back...& I closed my eyes & sat back in my chair @ my desk...

...& it completely took me back to that smokey Friday nite in February 1968 when I sat in the Winterland bleachers with my 17 yr old girlfriend & had my mind completely blown by the Experience.

Most people today have no idea how groundbreaking & revolutionary the concerts that Bill Graham put on were...& how great it was seeing these classic artists playing in front of roughly 1800 people @ the Fillmore, or a max 5,000 (& usually less) @ the old Winterland.

These amazing recordings bring the era back to life, once again.

Deezee...I bet this photo, that I have in my collection, was actually taken by your old friend Jim Marshall, @ Winterland the nite I was there...

41881718-e5ec-01F4014E-.gif

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
It tickles me to no end, how these precious films were snacthed from the grasp of that Media Whore, Clear Channel, and is now in the hands of someone that actually appreciates what great things happened back then, unlike CC, who can't see beyond their next dollar!!!!!!

I'd also like to see Dick Clark/ABC release their "In Concert" programs as well!!

This stuff will continue to put "Today's" Best stuff in Perspective.

The Powers that be don't want their crop of artists work shamed by these landmark performaces..... Thet want to believe that last week's product is just as satisfying as wayback when..... Well it --is-- satisfying, but only for those that have not compared now to -- then !!!!!

deezee

Reaction score
fantastic photo pooldude! and you might be right about it being one of jim's as you certainly know... he was pretty much THE photographer in san francisco back then. god....just listening to that stuff evokes so many great memories. my jimi fillmore memory was new years eve, the late show, at the fillmore east. i doubt anyone can begin to put into words what it was like to be there at that time. to have the opportunity to sit at one of the fillmores and see this stuff happen for the very first time right in front of you. and catch the look on everyone else's face as you all witnessed together groups like hendrix or the allman brothers hit the stage and rip into music that you'd never heard live before..it's not a mystery why this stuff still rocks today and why these musicians are irreplaceable.

rover
you hit the nail on the head. in my haste to get to work today, i neglected to add how fantastic it is that a real fan was able to buy all of this stuff. i certainly wouldn't begrudge him his profit either. all a fan could ask is that he just release the music in the form it derserves to be heard.:phones:

Last edited:

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
deezee said:
rover
you hit the nail on the head. in my haste to get to work today, i neglected to add how fantastic it is that a real fan was able to buy all of this stuff. i certainly wouldn't begrudge him his profit either. all a fan could ask is that he just release the music in the form it derserves to be heard.:phones:

Well, at least this material probably won't end up on a Time-Life Infomercial ! I don't think that this guy can be bought out, Thank Goodness!!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online