Best Forgotten Bands of the 70's.

Cowboy

Old Time Rocker
Reaction score
Anyone heard of Dragon? A fantastic Australian 70s band, "April Sun In Cuba" is one of my favorite songs of all time...

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
I must say I thought I was a classic rock connoisseur until y’all turned me on to Sir Lord Baltimore which lead me to Leaf Hound and others. There’s so much left to be discovered obviously. I will say the production value of these bands leaves a lot to be desired though. But then they weren’t on a major label to afford such luxuries. The music is somewhat rudimentary also. Especially the guitar players. But I guess that’s why guys like Page, Blackmore, Hendrix and others were regarded as the best in rock for that era. They had an identity and style that set them apart and influenced millions.

There’s a raw proto-metal appeal to it though. Looks like I’ll be busy for a while getting into these bands. Another note. I checked out Pentagram and Bedemon. Talk about death metal in it’s embryonic stage. I’ve always regarded Venom as the originator of that genre but I was way off. This stuff preceded them by seven or eight years. Sabbath sounds tame by comparison. But again, Iommi is one of those guys. Innovative stylist (even if he was just an amped up blues player).

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
They were formed in the 60's, but made it all the way to September of 1970.

7064457079_bdc9ded9e9.jpg

scarabus

Reaction score
I've gone through these pages and saw a lot of bands I never heard off.

One of my favourite bands is Legs Diamond.
Never understood that they didn't make it.

Other (unknown) bands I liked in the 70s are

Wireless
Wrabit
A Foot In Cold Water

have to go through my old records on the attic again.

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
Les Dudek
Atomic Rooster
Bloodrock
Trapeze
Spooky Tooth
Nazareth
Camel
Savoy Brown
Jo Jo Gunne
Spirit
Wishbone Ash
Cat Mother and the All Night News Boys
Cactus

Last edited:

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
M y favorite forgotten rock band of the early 70s is Bloodrock album titled DOA. They only made two albums, this being their first. Damned cool band, out of Fort Worth Texas.

Bloodrock actually made seven albums and the album with DOA was Bloodrock 2. Bloodrock USA was the best album they made, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Tek_54

Spanish Rocker Girl
Reaction score
i've thought of two real biggies, for me anyway.

wishbone ash
golden earring.

both have literally album upon album of primo material, and both are almost entirely ignored (altho golden earring has quite the following in europe.)

i've been knowing about wishbone ash since the beginning of my pre-teen music fetish... but golden earring, apart from the two radio hits radar love and twilight zone, was a band i didn't truly discover til a few years ago.

lemme tell ya what a wunnerful~~and wunnerfully rare~~feeling it is to (a) find a band that kicks ass consistently in all the right classic rocky ways, and then (b) find you've got at least 20 albums worth of undiscovered music from that band that you have yet to explore.

sniffff.

kath
switchin aint no criiiiime...

Wishbone Ash!!

I Like It. I had a Vinil Disk When I was a child. Mi cousin stoled it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitewintermarket

Members online