Best Forgotten Bands of the 70's.

E-Z

Reaction score
Osibisa an all black percussion heavy rock outfit with brass and was possibly one of the first 'world music bands' to come to the attention of the public although they did have a electric guitarist and bass player in the line up. The band was made up of a mixture of African and West Indian musicians originating from north London and found a degree of popularity in the UK during the early 1970s. The band recently re-formed with a bunch of new musicians along with one founding member and released a new album called New Dawn this year 2021.

Founding member and guitarist of Osibisa Wendell Richardson joined blues/rock band Free in place of Paul Kossoff for an American tour in early 1973 before Free disbanded completely later in 1973.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
I have been reading over the last few hours of Johnny Winter's USA concert appearances between 1970-1975 that was Johnny's 'rock period' and it becomes clear after reading the concert reviews that Johnny was at the 'top of his game' killing audience after audience across the states during this period by burning up and down the neck of his Gibson Firebird guitars with his band playing his fast rock & roll and blues/rock along with a BB King blues thrown in to the set. Later in the 1970s Johnny 'toned it down' a bit playing without a second guitarist before 'going straight blues' during the 1980s until his death in 2014 but during the 1970-1975 period Johnny was UNTOUCHABLE and could wipe the floor with Beck, Page, Clapton and anyone else.

I have quite a few Johnny Winter cds including everything between 1969-1980 plus various compilation cds and a couple of 1980s cds Serious Business 1985 & The Winter Of 88 1988 but I don't go much beyond 1980 when it comes to Johnny because I prefer Johnny's high energy 'rock period' between 1970-1975.

Last edited:

Rob1

<*(((>< I caught this big Old Catfish.....
Reaction score

Sha Na Na! Best group ever!​

Bowser owned it.

:cool:

garye

Reaction score
Came across this today, simply outstanding. Never heard of them but what a shame they did not become something bigger.

Phil Keaggy the lead guitarist still playing at 69 years of age, and time has not dimmed his greatness! Saw him in 2019 and he hooks you from the opening note and goes from there!
In my mind, one of the top 5 guitarists ever, and yes I know that's saying something!

E-Z

Reaction score
SHA NA NA!. Forever strangely associated with the great hippy gathering at the Woodstock festival in August 1969 being camped out on Max Yasgurs dairy farm for 3 days in up state New York and strange for a 1950s rock & roll act to participate in?.

I once read that Sh Na Na came on stage at breakfast time to a mass of tripped out and bewildered hippies who collectively wonder what the f**k was going on when a group of 1950s guys wearing greased back hair and singing 50s rock & roll songs launched into there set up on stage?.

Last edited:

gguerra

Reaction score
Another really good one here imo. Kind of like a cross between Cream and Jethro Tull.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online