1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Forgotten Bands of the 70's.

Discussion in '70's Music' started by JackInBox, May 22, 2005.

1. E-Z

E-Z 1970s Blues/Rock & slide guitar stadium rockstar

I am a Randy California fan in particular especially his 1970s-1990s solo albums which I have quite a few of like Euro-American, Shattered Dreams, Restless & Tent Of Miracles along with his Kaptain Kopter cds.

Nai Noswad likes this.
  2. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

This band were very respected at the time..but apart from live gigs and nods on John Peels show..just fizzled out - shame.
    Think they released on Kama Sutra in the States?

Three Man Army - Daze.

E-Z likes this.
  3. E-Z

Oddly I believe Buddy Miles the black muscular rock & soul drummer who was in Hendrix's Band of Gypsies was a member of Three Man Army for a short time?.

Nai Noswad likes this.
  4. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

Uni's , Colleges and Polys were great places to see bands for as little as 75p!
    Even cheaper with a Students Union card.
    The amount of rare and heavy progressive bands i saw live - for the price of a cheeseburger. Nutz, Tractor, Strife, John Lodge, Dirty Tricks, Trapeze, Budgie,Judas Priest and Snafu.. to name just a few.

recgord27 and E-Z like this.
  5. E-Z

Reminds me of Jon Anderson of YES telling the story on BBC radio 20+ years ago of YES playing a gig to 7 people and a dog at the Marquee in central London back in 1968.

recgord27 and Nai Noswad like this.
  6. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

Would you believe i saw Rory Gallagher at Rock City in 1991..fresh evidence or Main Offender Tour..60 people if that!
    Heathans!..lady threw her panties on stage Rory picked them up and smiling said" long time since a lady did that"...came down after and drank with the crowd. An utter Gentleman.

recgord27 and E-Z like this.
  7. E-Z

I saw Rory live on three separate occasions all at the Town And Country club in Kentish Town in north London (almost a home turf gig for Rory with many Irish in that area) that was on the Defender tour 1988 again in 1990 Fresh Evidence tour and the 'infamous' 1991 gig where he played a short set and went off stage after 1 hour due to illness. I was down the front of the stage right and I grabbed his hand at the end of the set and held it for about 2 seconds before he pulled away!!.

By 1991 both long serving bass player Gerry McAvoy & Brendan O'Neil on drums had departed and replaced by (in my eyes) a couple of young unknown guys although the guy on mouth harp Mark Feltham was still in the band.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Nai Noswad likes this.
  8. darklands

darklands everything's broken, and my Stacys are soaking wet

Saw Roy Wood (& The Helicopters?!) - Preston poly xmas gig (1984?) - brilliant! - don't remember getting home!
    Also, Slade in Liverpool (1981 or 82 - after they'd played Reading) - they still had it - what an excellent, unique, band, what a string of hits (esp. Far Far Away - which was the first single I owned, on floppy vinyl - by collecting tokens from [Smiths?] crisps!).

E-Z and Nai Noswad like this.
  9. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

^ loved those flexi discs..got the Stones and Faces ones..and a Mary Millington one..ooerr!!

E-Z likes this.
  10. E-Z

With regards to Slade I actually like the albums from the 1980-81 virtually all the songs are 'rockers' and NO ballads.

Nai Noswad likes this.