Best artists to start into the blues?

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
The single greatest blue guitarist in my mind is and forever will be the great Rory Gallagher

Last edited:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Well the first group I started off with which had a Blues Influence was The Animals and I reckon that while they aren't solely Blues, they do excellent covers of Blues. I think after that I got Manfred Mann which started as a Blues band and The Yardbirds were also another group which started off Blues. Perhaps my first trip into deeper Blues music was John Mayall's Blues Breakers album with Eric Clapton. It took quite a bit of listening just to get used to it. Another good one which have that connection is The Spencer Davis group. Personally I think to start out with Blues, it's great to get into those forms of Blues even if it's not solely Blues Music, they have that Influence which I think helps one influence in deciding if Blues Music is worth listening to or not. But what do I know.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Muddy Waters, BB King, Buddy Guy have all been mentioned but I'm surprised at the omission of two all-time greats and sadly both are long gone.

Sonny Boy Williamson-outstanding harmonica work

Howlin' Wolf-big man, bigger voice

Last edited:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
If anyone hasn't heard about the best blues label still in business, here's the link to Alligator Records. They've got a great catalog of artists.

http://www.alligator.com/

Including the late, great Hound Dog Taylor.

The man rocked and seemed to have fun doing it.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
An easier intro into the Blues might be Big Joe Turner. You can easily hear Rock 'n' roll in his version of the blues. Jump blues is the style he plays and it goes down very smooth.

image.jpg

Here's a good place to start, 3 CDs of fantastic music:

turner-big-joe-892-l.jpg

This is a cleaned up version. The cut on the CD is much raunchier.:heybaby:

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online