Benny Goodman ~ Sing Sing Sing (drummer)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This song was smokin' back in 1937. Check out the drummer in the video, Gene Krupa. Krupa would have made a fantastic metal drummer!

Interesting thing about Gene Krupa, he was the first drummer to record with a drum kit and bass pedal. He is also the teacher and mentor of Peter Criss (Kiss).

Krupa played on many occasions with Cozy Cole, who is another drummer of great influence, and whom Cozy Powell had a lot of respect for and changed his name to reflect this respect.

Krupa and a display of ancient awesomeness!

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Gene Krupa was an excellent drummer, no doubt. Benny Goodman, Harry James, Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Guy Lombardo, Count Basie and Glenn Miller rocked. I really appreciate the big band sound.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Me, too, Groovy! It is amazing how many classic rockers tried to emulate these big band musicians. If it weren't for these big bands, having instruments like the sax wouldn't be popular in today's rock.

There aren't that many videos of the big bands, but when you find one to watch, it is really amazing how they head banged and rocked!

rtbuck

Reaction score
I also love Big Band stuff. My parents grew up in that era so I've been listening to it since I was a kid. Great videos Magic!!!!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online