Beach Boys to reissue 14 albums

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

The celebration of the Beach Boys‘ 50th anniversary rolls on! Capitol Records has announced it will be launching yet another massive re-issue campaign for the legendary Californian band.

The lead-off releases in this series are two new greatest hits packages. For the timid, there is ‘The Beach Boys Greatest Hits,’ a compact 20-track collection of the band’s biggest hits. For those who wish to dive in a little deeper, there is a deluxe, career-spanning 2CD box entitled ‘Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones.’ This collection features, as the title suggests, 50 Beach Boys favorites, including two songs from this year’s ‘That’s Why God Made The Radio.’

The box will be issued in a lift-top box package including an expanded booklet with new liner notes and seven postcards. The collection will also be available as digital download — no postcards with that one!

In addition to the hits packages, twelve of the band’s albums will also be re-issued. They have been digitally remastered by Mark Linett, who has been behind the board for many of the previous Beach Boys re-masters. The titles being re-issued are: ‘Surfin’ U.S.A.,’ ‘Surfer Girl,’ ‘Little Deuce Coupe,’ ‘Shut Down Volume 2,’ ‘All Summer Long,’ ‘Today!,’ ‘Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!),’ ‘Beach Boys Party!,’ ‘Pet Sounds,’ ‘Smiley Smile,’ ‘Sunflower’ and ‘Surf’s Up.’

Most of these titles will feature both mono and stereo mixes, with the exception of ‘Surf’s Up’ and ‘Sunflower,’ as they were never mixed in mono. No word on why ‘Surfin Safari,’ ‘Christmas Album,’ ‘Wild Honey,’ ‘Friends’ or ’20/20′ are not part of this re-issue series. Also in the works is a career-spanning 50th Anniversary box set for release later this year.

On Sept. 18th, The Grammy Museum in Los Angeles will launch a special Beach Boys 50th Anniversary exhibit. Opening night will kick off with ‘An Evening With The Beach Boys,’ which will be a public event featuring a Q&A and acoustic performance by Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I thought the last Pet Sounds remaster sounded pretty good, so it makes me wonder what they have done to improve the album, or what was missing last time. The Beach Boys seem to do some strange things, such as Brian Wilson completing Smile with the Wondermints and then releasing the original sessions.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm not interested at all in any new remasters...:nw:

I bought a brand new 180 gram audiophile copy of "Endless Summer" a couple months ago and it's got all the Beach Boys I need. I know Pet Sounds is a very important recording and inspired many other bands, but I don't rate it in my top 100 albums of all time.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I like that they're delving into the 70's stuff. I've got a lot of Beach Boys tunes so I'll have to wait to see (and hear) exactly what's offered.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^What are your top 3 BB albums Bob D?

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Thanks for asking LG. My top three are:

Sunflower
Surf's Up
Pet Sounds

My top three BB tunes are:

Sail On Sailor
This Whole World
Warmth Of The Sun

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Warmth of the Sun is in my top 5 for sure.

I can't play their music without time traveling back to my teenage years, all good memories.:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
No need to be sorry Bob D...:D

I am not an expert on the BB's discography...the first album I bought was Endless Summer, which I consider one of the very best compilation albums ever made.

Surf's Up
Today
Pet Sounds

But I play Endless Summer the most...usually when I've had a couple "pops" on a hot summer day.:heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online