BBC Radio 1 'In Concert' Archive, 1971-1979

70sProgFan

Reaction score
I'm not sure just how many people in this forum are Brits or have an interest in this extremely important radio programme, but I have spent a few days putting together a complete list for the 1970s.

You can access it on my website, Gigs'n'Stuff.

Lots to see, many bands both big and small, and some sadly long-forgotten.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Fascinating list @70sProgFan. Living outside the UK, my exposure to these shows has been limited to the BBC In Concert or Old Grey Whistle Test cd's that have been released over the years. Some of the cd's I have include -
Cream
Ten Years After
Pretty Things
Porcupine Tree
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
Atomic Rooster
Led Zeppelin
Thin Lizzy
Beatles I&II
Shawn Phillips
Rory Gallagher
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Strawbs
Prog Rock At The BBC
Jack Bruce
Rick Wakeman
The Who
Queen
Free
Some may be bootlegs, I don't know.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has any others.

70sProgFan

Reaction score
As I said on my webpage, certainly the Be-Bop Deluxe, Lone Star and PFM concerts were released on CD, because I had them.
I've seen the Strawbs, Home, Argent and Heavy Metal Kids material officially released too.
There is a Rick Wakeman one, 'Live on the Test' which, despite the title, I think could be the 'In Concert' broadcast.

E-Z

Reaction score
Nice one 70sProgFan and the illustrious John Peel once said on one of my rock DVDs that (rock) music from that era (the early 1970s) was of little value and not worth listening to so he doesn't?. I believe Mr. Peel preferred listening to the Undertones and Teenage Kicks???.

70sProgFan

Reaction score
Nice one 70sProgFan and the illustrious John Peel once said on one of my rock DVDs that (rock) music from that era (the early 1970s) was of little value and not worth listening to so he doesn't?. I believe Mr. Peel preferred listening to the Undertones and Teenage Kicks???.
Yes, he finally 'sold-out' to punk and denigrated everything that he had earlier espoused. :banghead:
His loss.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
John Peel must be a music critic of some sort, haha. For me most of my music I listen to is from the early 70's era so I must really have worthless taste.

E-Z

Reaction score
John Peel must be a music critic of some sort, haha. For me most of my music I listen to is from the early 70's era so I must really have worthless taste.
Same here recgord27 because amongst my vast cd collection of cds which mainly consists of North American and British heavy rock bands from the 1969-1975 era and is what I call "Rocks Golden Years" when all the rock bands that I like on either side of the Atlantic formed and established themselves and I also include The Rolling Stones in that group even though they formed and started in the early 1960s because by 1968-69 they had 'come of age' musically and brought out their best albums between 1968-1973 in my humble opinion.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yes, he finally 'sold-out' to punk and denigrated everything that he had earlier espoused. :banghead:
His loss.
Regarding John Peel's comment I Totally agree 70sProgFan and I was a bit disappointed when he said the rock music from that era (the early 1970s) was of little value and wasn't worth listening to so he didn't anymore which was bit of a shocker to hear him say that!. I can't remember in what DVD of mine that he said that comment and I have been trying to remember but so far can't?.

E-Z

Reaction score
Regarding John Peel's comment I Totally agree 70sProgFan and I was a bit disappointed when he said the rock music from that era (the early 1970s) was of little value and wasn't worth listening to so he didn't anymore which was bit of a shocker to hear him say that!. I can't remember in what DVD of mine that he said that comment and I have been trying to remember but so far can't?.
I forgot to mention in the above post of mine The Who as well who had been around since 1964 but 'musically came of age' during the years 1968-71 with the albums Tommy 1968, the live album Live At Leeds 1970 and Who's Next 1971 and playing Tommy live on the road during 1969-1971 prior to those two studio albums in particular the band released some great singles but the three albums prior to Tommy were ok but nothing much to write home about.

Regarding John Peel I can't say that I was that struck on him I always preferred 'Whispering' Bob Harris and Alan 'fluff Freeman myself. "Not half pop pickers!." ;)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online