Back for the Attack by Dokken

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
I was on my way to the beach a few weeks ago when Sirius XM "Hair Nation" played "Back for the Attack" by Dokken. Not the album, but a song called "Back for the Attack." I was stunned for a couple of different reasons.

For one thing, this song is GREAT!!! It has one of the best grooves I have EVER heard in a metal song. The second reason is, I'd NEVER heard it before. I would imagine maybe 105.5 KNAC played it a couple of times in '87 but I honestly don't remember it. When I came home, I double checked my CDs and this track is NOT on either Back for the Attack, or Under Lock and Key.

Why would it be on Under Lock and Key? Because if you listen to Jeff Pilson's round-sounding scooped Fender Bass along with the booming snare hits on this track, it sounds and awful lot like all of the tracks on Under Lock and Key. I've been busy lately but I eventually did some research to track down this song. Apparently, it was taped during the Under Lock and Key sessions...but never made it to the LP. When Dream Warriors was released as a 7" single (featuring Nightmare on Elm Street cover art, as the movie features this song, and the video incorporated elements from the film), apparently its B side track was...Back for the Attack. Sadly, they never released it as a track on their already 13-track long "Back for the Attack" album.

In fact, this song has never been released since the Dream Warriors cassingle/vinyl singles. Indeed, I did checked for "Greatest Hits" albums that might've released it as a bonus track (the way Warrant did with "Thin Disguise" which was a B-side to the Cherry Pie single, I believe), but it's not on any of the ones for which I could obtain track listings. If you have more information about this, I'd appreciate it.

I'd especially appreciate it because there are some people out there trying to make a lot of money on just three songs. Apparently, a website with folks selling CD-R transfers of the original 7" and 12" pressings is available--and maybe the record labels don't yet care, but these copies will practically cost you your first born. You can see what I mean here. They've taken refuge under the "fair use" clause in copyright law, but I think that if whoever owns the rights to these recordings stepped up and decided they need to stop, they would have to. Although I'm glad that hasn't happened yet, because YouTube would have to take down their copy of it, also.

Thank God for YouTube. There is one posting with nauseating levels of wow and flutter (reminds you of the old days of a poorly spooled cassette or a warped vinyl record), but I found a newer, seldom-watched Karaoke-style video with lower levels but better sound. Please enjoy. This song made my day when I heard it.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, Pat's been kind of busy these days working and all...he needs to jump in here because he has everything Dokken related as well as imports and rarities. All that fun stuff us collectors do.

He may offer up good options on where to get this song in hard copy form.

Herulf

Reaction score
I agree, such a shame Dokken didn't include that song on Back for the attack (or Under lock and key for that matter). I bought the 12" Dream warriors single years ago at a record fair just for this track. It rocks!

Last edited:

Rocker440

Reaction score
I think the song Back For The Attack is included on the Japan import CD The Best of Dokken.

The Best of Dokken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

200px-BestOfDokken.jpg

:tl:
1.Tooth And Nail
2.In My Dreams
3.Breaking The Chains
4.Into The Fire
5.Burning Like A Flame
6.It's Not Love
7.Alone Again
8.The Hunter
9.Kiss Of Death
10.Just Got Lucky
11.Back For The Attack
12.Unchain The Night
13.Dream Warriors
14.Mr. Scary
15.Walk Away
16.Paris Is Burning

Amazon.com: Dokken ; the Best of Dokken [Japan Import]: Music

Perhaps Lynch may have more info for the song, and also how it wasn't included on Under Lock And Key, nor the album Back For The Attack? :grinthumb
I do think it is interesting that this song was recorded during those sessions but only initially released on vinyl? Quite a number of bands and record companies use to do something similar with B-sides many years ago.

I also believe that the song Walk Away was initially available on the Beast From The East live album. :bonk:

:cheers2

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
So "The Best Dokken" has the track, but only on the CD released in Japan? I'll bet the import is going for an arm and a leg too (although at least you get way more music for the money).

THANKS for checking into that and showing us where we could find this on a legitimate release! I try to avoid paying for bootlegs whenever possible.

Rocker440

Reaction score
^^^Yep, I believe the one on the link was going for about $60 or so. Although I do have many Dokken albums, I don't have The Best of Dokken, myself. :(

YVW, Dairenn and MP! :grinthumb :cheers2

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online