Any other good rock opera albums?

agiam9

Reaction score
By rock opera's I'm referring to albums that have a story line or have songs that follow one right into the other.
Just some examples:
Tommy - The Who
Quadrophenia - The Who
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie

I love listening to these albums all the way through and was wondering if anyone knew any other ones they could recommend.
Thanks
-Andrew

Reaction score
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
Meat_Loaf_Bat_Out_Of_Hell.jpg

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell
1993-BatOutOfHellII-BackIntoHell.jpg

Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster is Loose
l31232-1.jpg

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd call 40 minute albums, operas. Concept albums, yes. I'm not even sure I'd call Dark Side Of The Moon an opera...it's a concept album. Don't confuse the two.

Khor1255

Reaction score
What? A rock opera is an album that plays like an opera. No more no less.

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar enough with early Rush albums to have an opinion, but an opera, in the sense that I understand, tells a story. Dark Side Of The Moon does not tell a story. Bay out of Hell doesn't tell a story. It's not even a concept album. The songs are not related in any sense of a story or even a theme. Dark Side has a theme, so I classify it as a concept album, not an opera. I'm sure there a ton more examples.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Oh, ok. Yeah, a concept album is kind of loosely related storyline that sometimes has no true resolution etc. Those Rush albums are pure opera. Check out the lyrics if you don't have an ear for the music.

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd even say Dark Side Of The Moon has a loosley related story line. The songs are definately related insomuch as they bring together different themes that relate to the pressures and stresses of life, but most of the songs pretty much stand out on there own.

I like some early Rush. I'm familiar enough with 2112 to know side one tells a story, but side two is pretty much unrelated to side one. I like the Overture and The Temples of Syrinx. I'm totally unfamiliar with Caress Of Steel and Hemispheres. I know Lakeside Park. I live about ten minutes from there. It's a good tune. Isn't it on Caress Of Steel?

Khor1255

Reaction score
Yeah, every Rush rock opera album has the 'opera' on one side and stand alone tunes on the other.

Lakeside park is on the side of Caress that is stand alone. It's funny but aside from Bastille Day the whole album kind of has a theme of childhood to adulthood journey as well as innocence to experience journey but only one side I would consider an opera.

As for Dark Side of the Moon it is very much the precursor to The Wall. There are a lot of Pink Floyd songs that also are in this category (as far back as Corporal Clegg if you really think about it) but Dark Side lays out the disillusionment vibe quite nicely. There is a sort of disconnected continuity to a lot of Waters and Pete Townsend songs if you look for it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online