AC/DC - For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) (1981)

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Re: AC/DC - For Those About To Rock ( We Salute You) (1981)

His lack of writing credits seemed to coincide with their dip in quality. Although Black Ice was an improvement, he still did not contribute to the songwriting. The Youngs have a reputation for control freakery, but, in interviews, he seems laid back. I suppose fans associate a return to form with Brian Johnson returning to songwriting duties, but he is not bothered.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I don't see any dip in quality since he stopped writing, if anything the albums were better since he stopped.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score

I took it that some people, including those in this thread, see Back in Black as a high benchmark (and sales would indicate such). As Brian Johnson appears to have taken a full role in the writing of that album and seemingly less with each successive album, it would be reasonable to assume that this is, at least in part, due to his lack of involvement. There are other factors like the decreasing influence of Mutt Lange, the Youngs taking over the production from the band and then a succession of different producers and drummers (even Chris Slade).

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I took it that some people, including those in this thread, see Back in Black as a high benchmark (and sales would indicate such). As Brian Johnson appears to have taken a full role in the writing of that album and seemingly less with each successive album, it would be reasonable to assume that this is, at least in part, due to his lack of involvement. There are other factors like the decreasing influence of Mutt Lange, the Youngs taking over the production from the band and then a succession of different producers and drummers (even Chris Slade).

Back in Black for sure is a massive landmark, that one speaks for itself but For Those I guess is one for many debate too, I like plenty of songs on it but do think this album was over produced. I don't care for Mutt Lange all that much which is why I prefer the rawer sound pre Highway to Hell.
Looking at it objectively being a huge fan of the band I think this album was always going to suffer being the follow up to Back in Black but it also does contain some pretty mediocre material for my liking. Mutt Lange does produce some of the best albums of all time and has done but also like I feel with Bob Rock has a tendency to take things a little far on the production sense.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score

Mutt was probably hired to give them a glossy sheen and it worked on Back in Black. Did Bob Rock ever work with AC/DC? Certainly his band Rockhead sound very like them.

I also prefer the Bon Scott version of the band. Brian Johnson and Back in Black are pretty good, but I think AC/DC tended to work to a formula after Highway to Hell.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Mutt was probably hired to give them a glossy sheen and it worked on Back in Black. Did Bob Rock ever work with AC/DC? Certainly his band Rockhead sound very like them.

I also prefer the Bon Scott version of the band. Brian Johnson and Back in Black are pretty good, but I think AC/DC tended to work to a formula after Highway to Hell.

Thankfully Bob Rock never worked on the band he tends to take bands down a far too commercial road for my liking.
Yeah I can see why most people prefer the Bon version of the band. I am quite different on that, I like both eras.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Nice one Riff, I enjoyed the review and the album is up there in my top five from ACDC :grinthumb

Hard Rockin

Reaction score

I absolutely LOVE AC/DC but you could take the best songs from the albums covering the period of FTATR to Blow Up Your Video and make one decent AC/DC album out of them. The title track is a classic, but when you consider the album as a whole I actually prefer Flick of The Switch.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I absolutely LOVE AC/DC but you could take the best songs from the albums covering the period of FTATR to Blow Up Your Video and make one decent AC/DC album out of them. The title track is a classic, but when you consider the album as a whole I actually prefer Flick of The Switch.

Agreed I find Flick Of The Switch sounds far superior. Much heavier, and the songs are better too. Spellbound is probably the most forgettable Ac/dc song.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online