70s Prog-Rock Bands Fronted By Female Vocalists?

E-Z

Reaction score
I read a few days ago that The Yes Album from 1970 is the ultimate progressive rock album. I don't know if that is true or not cos I am not totally into 'prog rock' preferring more 1970s 'straight heavy rock' and 'blues/rock' guys.

From the 1970s & 1980s Yes and Focus are ok but Emerson, Lake & Palmer are ok until they play that classical stuff and that's when I hit the 'off' button!!.

Last edited:

Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Reaction score
I read a few days ago that The Yes Album from 1970 is the ultimate progressive rock album. I don't know if that is true or not cos I am not totally into 'prog rock' preferring more 1970s 'straight heavy rock' and 'blues/rock' guys.

From the 1970s & 1980s Yes and Focus are ok but Emerson, Lake & Palmer are ok until they play that classical stuff and that's when I hit the 'off' button!!.
The Yes Album was released in 1971. No, it's not the ultimate prog album or even Yes album but it's very good and one of their top five imo. It's actually the very first one I was exposed to since my dad had it.

You should try listening to Rush. They combined prog rock with heavy and hard rock back in the 70s so you might like them(anything from their more heavy blues rock debut up until Moving Pictures). Most of their stuff was still prog rock but usually much of the emphasis was on power and riffs. Uriah Heep is another band who combined heavy stuff and prog and even Black Sabbath did for a bit (especially Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage).

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
The Yes Album was released in 1971. No, it's not the ultimate prog album or even Yes album but it's very good and one of their top five imo. It's actually the very first one I was exposed to since my dad had it.

You should try listening to Rush. They combined prog rock with heavy and hard rock back in the 70s so you might like them(anything from their more heavy blues rock debut up until Moving Pictures). Most of their stuff was still prog rock but usually much of the emphasis was on power and riffs. Uriah Heep is another band who combined heavy stuff and prog and even Black Sabbath did for a bit (especially Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage).
I never ever got into Rush and as for Uriah Heep I use to occasionally listen to them 25-30 years ago but don't anymore and as for Black Sabbath I only occasionally listen to there 1970s albums after which I don't bother anymore with the 'Dio years' albums and albums such as Born Again, Seventh Star, and Dehumaniser although The Eternal Idol isn't a bad effort but that's as far as I go with 'the Sabs' these days.

Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Reaction score
I never ever got into Rush and as for Uriah Heep I use to occasionally listen to them 25-30 years ago but don't anymore and as for Black Sabbath I only occasionally listen to there 1970s albums after which I don't bother anymore with the 'Dio years' albums and albums such as Born Again, Seventh Star, and Dehumaniser although The Eternal Idol isn't a bad effort but that's as far as I go with 'the Sabs' these days.
What do you have against Rush? Have you ever tried listening to any of their full albums?

E-Z

Reaction score
What do you have against Rush? Have you ever tried listening to any of their full albums?
Just something about them that doesn't do it for me possibly cos of the 'prog element' although having said that I know they've always had a BIG FOLLOWING.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
George......re post that mix if you can....................

Regarding Yes above,,,,,,,many consider Close To The Edge to be their best lp and some say its their favorite prog lp of all time...it gets high ratings on lists.
:good

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online