16 Horse Power/Woven Hand

joe

Reaction score
I was in the vinyl shop about a month ago pickin' up some CD's I had ordered and in the background I heard this music playing that caught my ear. I asked Gary(shop owner), "what was playing?"

He replied back, "Woven Hand, it's gothic country."

What! Gothic country. What in the hell is that?. Never heard of it" I responded.

"Steve Earle would fit under Gothic Country", Gary pointed out.

I could hear the resemblance and also reminded me somewhat of the americana sound of John Mellancamp's Scarecrow. He threw the Woven Hand s/t CD in free with my other CD's. I was so impressed with the CD, I ended up D/Ling Sackcloth 'n' Ashes from his other band 16 Horsepower.

Woven hand is led by David Eugene Edwards and was formed in 2001 when his other band 16 Horsepower was on hiatus. Dark country and hallowed folk would be best to describe these two bands. An old west ambience.

Here is a couple of tracks from the two albums:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like Steve Earle so I am intrigued by these guys Joe...Gothic Country...that's a new one for me as well.

And that is what the internet will never replace, the relationship with the store owner and yourself which led you to discover this new band...I better stop or I'll get to feelin' sad about all my favorite stores that are gone now.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am a country chick and love the themes the music has. I have never heard of "gothic" country before but do like the dark undertones in the vids you posted.

I also like Steve Earle and John Mellencamp, so David Edwards' bands should suit my taste. I will have to check the 2 bands out more.

I am like LG, I miss Bull Frog records. It isn't like the old woman working the counter in Wallmart can give you any help finding music.....

Harkat

Reaction score
I like Steve Earle so I am intrigued by these guys Joe...Gothic Country...that's a new one for me as well.

And that is what the internet will never replace, the relationship with the store owner and yourself which led you to discover this new band...I better stop or I'll get to feelin' sad about all my favorite stores that are gone now.

You could say LG that a forum becomes a sort of collection of store owner all willing to share and introduce you to more bands :grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
Right on. Glad you like them guys.:grinthumb

Last edited:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I like 16 Horse Power. I stumbled upon "Gothic Country " a while back when I was searching for bands like Hawk III. Those Poor Bastards is a band that I have a couple of CD from

THOSE POOR BASTARDS
tpb_satan_is_watching.jpg

This stuff is pretty dark

HAWK III Covered the above

joe

Reaction score
^^^Raw, twisted,cheeky, and sinister there Wolf.:grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Im well impressed with 16 HORSEPOWER . Love the tunes, the voice ...the whole dark gothic vibes.....Ive never heard the banjo sounding so DAMN good !!! wow Got to check out their releases pronto :cheers2
Heres another gem from the band

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online