The lyrics or the music?

magicmoments

Reaction score
Which grabs you the most, which is more important? The lyrics of a song or the music? Or maybe both?

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
This is a perfectly great question.. I steer to songs that have some substance to them lyrically, BUT it has to have a melody that adds to the description of the song.

Enter Sandman.. The lyrics wouldn't work if the melody was smells like teen spirit..:hm:

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
For me the music is more important. Smart lyrics with untalented music - it's boring. Whereas even song primitive in lyrical way can be fun or powerful (in heavy-metal or glam we have a mass examples of it). :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On my first listen, the first 30 seconds or so of a song can make or break my listening experience. I have to be drawn into a song by the opening riff, hook, or melody. The next thing that I listen for is vocals. If the vocalist is bad, I will end a song. Sometimes the lyrics will catch me on an emotional level or a humorous level, but seldom on a first listen.

I can love songs that have no lyrics just as much as songs with lyrics. Good example is Buckethead ~ Padmasana. That is the most soothing song ever……I have that song as a request to be played low key at my funeral.

magicmoments

Reaction score
On my first listen, the first 30 seconds or so of a song can make or break my listening experience.
Yes, often. Then again, I love words and how they can be used. After that initial hit of the music, I'm gasping (!) for the words. If the words come across as banal then a degree of magic is lost, even with the best music. Often the lyrics remain with me, irrespective of the music.

Sometimes, both can come together. Lyrics and music. Maybe that is the best?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sometimes, both can come together. Lyrics and music. Maybe that is the best?
Depends. The music I have been listening to the most the past couple years isn’t exactly the kind of music I enjoy for the lyrics. I enjoy the complexity of the music. The lush layers of sound, which includes the vocals.

What is it, you ask? Symphonic metal. When I have my headphones on, I get lost in the sound.

magicmoments

Reaction score
When I have my headphones on, I get lost in the sound.
I remember way back listening to "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" by Bob Dylan, totally lost with the originality and inventiveness of each time the electronic organ twiddled about in each verse. The words meant little then.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I know I might get booed for saying this, but back when rap started coming on strong during the 80's, you could find a few artist that had both great lyrics and a groove to go with it.

I get most gangster rap songs really spend no time writing lyrics that only come across as trashy dirty minded subjective low talent what so ever..

BUT The Beastie Boys covered many songs that were both fun party tunes and deep meaningful songs..

Their were others that I would consider worthy of my ears attention..

I would also add that I'm the kind of music lover that eats a whole lot of genres like fads that fits what mood I am in..

To me, someone who likes music but limits their listening to just a couple genres or a few groups has tunnel vision issues and is missing out.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebDimond

Staff online

Members online