Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
logo.jpg

The+James+Gang+1970.jpg

Wiki Link

Yer' Album (March 1969)
James Gang Rides Again (July 1970)
Thirds (April 1971)
James Gang Live in Concert (December 1971)
Passin' Thru (July 1972)
Straight Shooter (October 1972)
The Best Of Featuring Joe Walsh (January 1973)
Bang (December 1973)
15 Greatest Hits (December 1973)
Miami (August 1974)
Newborn (May 1975)
Jesse Come Home (February 1976)[1]

Love this band. Power trio with Joe Walsh. Joe pioneered the Les Paul/Marshall sound. Just ask Pete Townshend and Jimmy Page. He introduced Pete Townshend to the rig and gave him setting tips when the James Gand toured with The Who and gave Jimmy Page a '59 Les Paul which was his most used guitar in the heyday of Led Zeppelin. Tunes like The Bomber could have fit on Zeppelin's debut. They were America's Cream in my opinion. Great guitarist, adventurous bass and a flashy drummer. And live they would go off on musical tangents in seperate directions but it all seemed to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

runtfan

Reaction score
Re: The James Gang

I think the James Gang is good, but I think Grand Funk is a better American version of Cream. I'd give Joe Walsh the advantage over Mark Farner as a lead guitarist, but Grand Funk had two singers better than Joe Walsh and a better rhythm section (nothing against Dale Peters and Jim Fox). And Grand Funk set out from the beginning with Cream as their inspiration.

rtbuck

Reaction score

I love the James Gang. Back in the early 80's a band from Cleveland used to come up to Buffalo every week. It was the Paul Pope Band & their bass player was Tom Kiss from the James Gang's first record.

I even didn't mind the Miami album with Tommy Bolin

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I'm a fan of their's, I actually prefer the James Gang and Joe's solo albums to the Eagles after he joined them.

As far as JG being "America's Cream"....no definitely not.:nw:

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score

I agree with ya on the point that they where not The Cream. I also like Joe's work Better with The James Gang and solo to his Eagles work. I like The Eagles great band

Khor1255

Reaction score

Fantastic band. One of my favorite American rock and roll acts. Rides Again and a few other albums speak for themselves. The Bomber is one of the coolest jam songs anyone has ever done.

No need to compare them to Cream. They are Americans after all.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I never take those comparisons very seriously, except it's flattering when someone does think one of their favorite bands is equal to a legendary group.

Someone mentioned "Barnstorming" as a fantastic album, I have 3 of Joe's solo records and they are all top shelf.

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

:) I`m a fan of The James Gang!

I have

Rides Again and Thirds w/ Joe

and Bang and Miami w/ Tommy

I have 3 of Joe`s solo albums, Barnstorm, Smoker and The Confessor.

I have Tommy`s 2 solo albums, Teaser and Private Eyes......Should have picked up the album he did with Deep Purple but I`m not a fan of that line up.

opera races

Reaction score

I have these James Gang records on vinyl:

James Gang Rides Again
James Gang Miami
James Gang Yer Album Featuring Joe Walsh
James Gang Live In Concert

Mostly "thrift shop treasures". I was actually on a Tommy Bolin kick (i.e. buying Miami) and acquired them the same time as some other Tommy Bolin albums I found at the same shop. (Teaser, Private Eyes; also have Deep Purple Come Taste The Band)

I really should give these records another spin this weekend ...

I like Joe Walsh quite a bit too, as it turns out ... didn't start "connecting the dots" between what I like and his having a part in it until relatively recently.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online