Lone Star (Official Thread)

Mr. T

Reaction score
lonestar.jpg

Kenny Driscoll - Vocals (Lone Star)
John Sloman - Vocals (Firing On All Six)
Paul Chapman - Guitar
Tony Smith - Guitar
Rick Worsnop - Keyboards
Pete Hurley - Bass
Dixie Lee - Drums

We all relate to those bands that 'should have been huge' but weren't. Then many years later they somehow attract retrospective attention for being ahead of their time. Lone Star is one of those bands. Power, melody, passion, prog, originality, musicianship, soaring vocals... they had it all. Spent many a night under the headphones with these when they were new. :heheh:

Lone Star were a Welsh rock band formed in 1975 and led by Paul Chapman (UFO). They dropped 2 albums, Lone Star in 1976 and Firing On All Six in 1977. They were remastered and re-issued as a double album in 2003.

24o2fwl.jpg5yvujn.jpg

28t9rma.jpg

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
Re: Lone Star

The two albums they did were both fantastic (the third demo album wasn't bad, either), it's a shame they never made it, they certainly had the talent. I still maintain Sloman has a killer set of pipes, even if he completely out of place in Uriah Heep.

Mr. T

Reaction score

The two albums they did were both fantastic (the third demo album wasn't bad, either), it's a shame they never made it, they certainly had the talent. I still maintain Sloman has a killer set of pipes, even if he completely out of place in Uriah Heep.

I've never gotten my hands on the demo RC but if you think it's good then maybe I should track it down. Agree with you about Sloman on both accounts. :cheers2

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score

I've never gotten my hands on the demo RC but if you think it's good then maybe I should track it down. Agree with you about Sloman on both accounts. :cheers2

It's reasonably good, albeit it's quite obviously not finished. I could PM you about it, if you're interested?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Lone Star did a pretty psyched out cover of Beatles "She Said She Said"

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

When I read the title of this thread I automatically thought of this TUNEZ :D

LoneStarBeer6-pack.jpg

Back to Wales, another band that slipped past me, I don't recall ever hearing their music before today. I'll see if I can locate that double CD.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Great band . Im fortunate enough to have both albums, as you say they deserved to be up there with HEEP and PURPLE ,but it wasnt to be. Just noticed youve loaded "Bells of Berlin ".....excellent !! These albums are a must !

Mr. T

Reaction score

@ RC... Thanks bro but got a line on that now! :cheers2

@ Magic... Yeh pretty hard to even compare that to Beatles version :D

@ LG... I should have known what would come to your mind seeing Lone Star :heheh:

@ LOU... Agree, these albums really are a must for fans of that era, especially FOAS... brilliant stuff for their day! :grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Never tried LONE STAR the beer LG . Is it recomended ?? :cheers2 :D

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Two more beauties by the excellent LONE STAR....I got "into" this band after hearing a very impressive performance in the 70s "in concert" series on Radio 1:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online