Joe Satriani (Official Thread)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: Joe Satriani

The first thing I ever heard from Satch was the title track off of Surfing With the Alien. I had heard of him before, but he was typically mentioned as some guitar whiz who was at one time Steve Vai's and Kirk Hammett's guitar teacher (of which the latter two were already more known).

Joe_Satriani_Surfing_With_the_Alien.jpg

Anyway, when I heard Surfing, I was blown away. The music, the groove of that tune... it just floored me. I immediately went out and bought it and I must have played it a dozen times over the next couple of days. Satch Boogie, Crushing Day, Always With You, Ice 9, etc etc... the album made me realize how tiny I was as a guitar player.

Very few albums blew me away like this one did. I became a fan on that day and never looked back. I don't own everything he's ever recorded, but I do have a bunch of it.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
Re: Joe Satriani

I heard some of his "hits" from '87 to about '92 (I think Summer Song made the airwaves around that time) but didnt make any effort to buy any of his music. In 1998 a friend of mine played me the album "Crystal Planet" and it BLEW ME AWAY! I went out and got all of his albums and I've bought each new album since. CP is still probably my fave, or tied with Surfing.
I like everything he's ever done, nothing he's done sucks and very few is just OK. I was fortunate enough to stumble across Surfing, Flying, and Dreaming #11 on vinyl recently (in excellent condition) and I was happy as a fly on a cowpie.

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

Joe Satriani

Joe Satriani / Live at Sweetwater

Joe Satriani held a free concert and workshop at Sweetwater's Performance Theatre on March 22, 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:

opera races

Reaction score
The Crush of Love is the tune that first brought Joe Satriani to my attention!

Oddly that's another track I remember delivering pizza to!

I saw Joe Satriani at Ruth Eckerd in Clearwater last December. It was sort of a last minute decision to go but I'm so glad I went! Excellent show!

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
The Extremist is one incredible album.

51q-mEwJ-PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Friends

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
just dropped the needle on my Flying In A Blue Dream LP. Love the title track, how it slowly builds up. Words can't describe how much I like this album

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
For those guitar tech buffs who would like to know what Joe uses with Chickenfoot...you may like this video.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Joe Satriani held a free concert and workshop at Sweetwater's Performance Theatre on March 22, 2010.

A free concert and workshop!?!?!? :pullhair: Would have loved to be there for that! This song still gets me like it did the first time I heard it 25-26 yrs ago. :grinthumb

And to see how effortlessly he plays it.:omg: :bow:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online