Harry Chapin (Official Thread)

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
I just heard Chapin's WOLD. Is it ok to ask some questions about it?

Hello and Welcome Melanie - I'll guarantee that somebody on this forum will be able to answer your questions - they're an amazingly knowledgeable group. So, don't be shy.

My husband and I saw Harry Chapin sometime in the late 70's. It was a very intimate venue at a very small college in mid-state Michigan. What a moving experience!!!

Melanie Hiscock

Reaction score
About WOLD:

What does daddy-o mean? (Is this an American word?)

What is AM rock?

What is a sock hop?

What does "big time guest MC" mean?

"feeling all of 45 going on 15" - does this mean he's childish?

"the little children" - I'm confused here - why would tiny children be listening to a grown-up playing grown-up music on the radio?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Daddy O means Dad, just a hip/cool word that was popular back in the 'groovy 70's '. He used the word because it rhymed with 'radio' in the next line.

AM Rock, popular music played on AM radio stations usually short 3 minutes songs before FM radio came along and changed the landscape.

Sock Hop is simple a school dance with a band or Disc Jockey, at least that's what we called them when I was in school.

MC is a master of ceremonies, I refuse to associate this with 'rappers' which is the urban dictionary definition, MC's were around for decades before rap came along.

Feeling all of 45 going 15, just means he's feeling young and carefree again, not necessarily childish.

What's wrong with children listening to music on the radio? I know I grew up listening to grown-up's music playing all the time.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Chapin was a great lyrical painter full of much deep and inspiring prose.As "schmaltzy" as many claim "Cat's In The Cradle" to be,there's actually a quite legitimate life lesson involved with the 70's AM classic."Taxi" is generously engrossing.A great storyteller.I put this one up there with Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Retaurant" in that department.....................

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
Also the word "Wold" is the call letters for the radio station, W.O.L.D. Stations east of the Mississippi River start with a "W," and those west of the Mississippi, start with a "K." For example, in Chicago, which is east of the Mississippi it's rock stations starts with a [W] like WDRV, but in Los Angeles, which is west of the Mississippi, the station starts with a [K] like KLOS. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online