Giving “One Hit Wonders” A Second Chance

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Today’s deeper dive: Dexy’s Midnight Runners.
“Come On Eileen” was wildly popular in the early 80’s and remains in high rotation as a representative of 80’s music or any “party anthem music” These guys even helped spark a return to wearing stylish overalls in some unsuspecting suburbs of American youth.
“Come On Eileen” was the only song I remember hearing often from their album Too Rye Ay and again, I don’t think many of my friends bought the album but a few bought the single and seemed somewhat invested in the band.
As I listen to the entire album now for the first time, it reminds me of early Cure mixed with Madness. To be sure, “Come On Eileen” is the gold nugget on the album but the rest is not too different or uninteresting.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
There are tons of 'one hit wonders' from the mid to late 60's and even in the 70's.
I noticed that the ones posted so far are more modern but I always liked these two oldies....never played their lps back in the day....but I had many 45rpm singles from the bands of that era.

Music Explosion-Little bit of soul

Question Mark and Mysterians-96 Tears

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
One more but I could easily post 20 more....never listened to their lp either.
Count 5 -Psychotic Reaction

Aero

Reaction score
A perfect pop song,not by going with the audience reaction on this video (they all eaten quaalude burgers or something? )
Produced by Elvis Costello - Scarboroughian one hit wonder.
The Jags - Back Of My Hand.
The follow up bombed...
Woman's World.
They sound like Elvis Costello.

Aero

Reaction score
One of my Favorites. The Beaver Brown Band

This band was so underrated and underappreciated! They have a slew of good songs, both on the original movie soundtrack and the sequel film that didn't do so well at the box office. It still makes no sense to me that Springsteen got all the attention while these guys got none. They should've ridden his coattails to success since Bruce's fanbase would've loved them. For whatever reason, they got no airplay at all and the video for their hit song from the movie was hardly ever shown on MTV.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.