Disco!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Perhaps one of the most unlikely artists to dabble in disco, Alice Cooper:

It fit within the context of the album though.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It amazes me how many people would like to sweep Disco under the rug like it was a dirty secret, but a lot of artists dabbled in disco. Disco did have all the makings of great music: strings, guitars, horns, keyboards, synths...the works!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well I'm pretty sure that people knock disco because of it's excessive cheese and how "it's not a viable art form in music" but everything needs to be Radiohead or Pink Floyd so there is noting wrong with some cheese now and again. ;)

Though in the context of the "Alice Cooper Goes To Hell" album "You Gotta Dance" was played because the premise was that the only type of music they played in Hell was disco so I guess Alice was making fun of disco even though he didn't do all that shabby of a job at it. Irony perhaps? :D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as to say Disco wasn't viable, there are some really talented musicians in Disco, especially the funksters and soul artists...

Marley
Clinton
Bee Gee's
Sly & The Family Stone
Earth, Wind & Fire
Commodores
Marvin Gaye
Barry White

Just to name a few.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I don't connect funk and soul with disco. I mean, there are obviously common elements but they've always just been separate worlds to me. Maybe that's just because I didn't grow up in the 70's. I dunno :confused:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Disco encompassed a lot of different syles of music, and the main influence was funk and soul, but the sound had to have the 4-on-the-floor beat for dancing. After disco was declared dead they changed the name to Dance music and now it is incorporated into techno and some of the pop culture. So disco never really died, it just went underground.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I think disco is still kind of alive in groups like the Scissor Sisters. They are HUGE in Europe and (as my friend John put it) sound like if the Bee Gees and Elton John had a baby.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OH yeah! MP, That was a goodie, too. I almost forgot about Blondie being a disco diva.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Here's another great song, probably my all time favorite from the disco era.

Santa Esmerelda's "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood". The Short version.:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online