ZZTop in the studio with Rick Rubin

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
gibson.com

Billy Gibbons has revealed that ZZ Top are working on their first studio album since 2003 and that it’s being produced by producer extraordinaire Rick Rubin. Gibbons told Spinner.com that his Texas trio will return to the studio following a small stint touring with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (who have also worked with Rubin).

“He’s very instrumental in striking a resonant chord,” Gibbons said. “He’s able to find ways to pull things out that you might not know were there in the first place.”

Although ZZ Top remain a popular band and a concert draw, they haven’t had a Top 10 album since 1990’s Recycler. Does Gibbons think that Rubin’s golden touch might return the band to the charts?

“There's more music now in every shape and form – something to please everybody,” he said. “I think the bigger challenge is: Where do you go to discover it? If you’re lucky, maybe word of mouth. Somebody will make a recommendation, and if you trust them, you might take the time to check it out.”

However, on the whole, he feels fortunate about ZZ Top’s standing in the music world.

“We’re kind of in the cat-bird seat,” Gibbons said. “We’re very fortunate that we’ve established a gangload of fans that may not have a place to go buy a CD but, by hook or by crook, they will either beg, borrow or steal it.”

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I must own that album, I have all the others and have been fortunate to see them twice, Legends they are and Rick is also a Legend who has produced some real classics, I drool at the prospect of this album...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online