Zoot (Official Thread)

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
I thought I'd do an article on one of Australia's early rockers, Zoot.

Probably not too well known, so here's a history that I've written up :) Check em out!

Wiki Link

1969 4 Shades of Pink (EP)
1970 Just Zoot
1971 Zoot Out
1980 Best of the Zoot Locker 1969–1971

In 1964, in the northern suburbs of Adelaide, South Australia, 4 men formed a band. Darryl Cotton (vocals), Gerard Bertlekamp (bass), John D'Arcy (guitar) and Ted Higgins (drums) formed the band, naming it Down the Line after hearing the Hollies cover of Roy Orbison's "Go, Go, Go (Down the Line)".

Down the Line primarily played cover versions of British mod bands such as The Who, The Hollies, The Move and The Small Faces. They also spent time as session musicians, working on the early recordings of John Farnham (a muso who is on my extremely long list of artists to do a thread on), who is now one of Australia's most revered singers and spent time with the Little River Band as lead vocalist.

Another Adelaide musician, Doc Neeson (who later fronted Aussie Rock band The Angels, who I also should do a thread on), suggested that they "should change the name to something short and punchy like Zoot." And so they became Zoot.

After coming runner up in a South Australian Battle of the Bands to the Masters Apprentices (just another Adelaide rock band to emerge in that time), Zoot relocated to Melbourne in the late 60's. Although they were starting to earn popularity, critics labelled them as bubblegum pop due to a marketing campaign their management cooked up called "Think Pink - Think Zoot", dressing the band members up in pink jumpsuits to make them instantly recognizable.

They recieved their first hit single with "1 x 2 x 3 x 4", and an album "Just Zoot"

During the "Think Pink - Think Zoot" years, the band went through many guitarists and drummers who grew disillusioned by the homophobic comments, the threats and the media ridicule the band received due to their jumpsuits. Cotton and Bertlekamp (now known as Beeb Birtles) were the only constant members. Eventually, the Zoot hit a commercial gold mine, hiring the services of singer-songwriter and guitarist Rick Springfield.

With Springfield came a whole new mentality within the band, and the pink was removed from their image. The pink years were openly mocked in the first single written by Springfield, entitled "Hey Pinky" that was released in 1970.

With Cotton becoming a genuine frontman, Birtles' bass work and Springfield's popularity and songwriting, Zoot started receiving a positive reaction from critics. But it took some external songwriting to produce Zoot's biggest ever released - songwriting from rock music's most formidable songwriting team, Lennon/McCartney to be precise. Regarded by many fans (TheFeldster included) to be a Beatles' cover to rank with Joe Cocker's "With A Little Help From My Friends", Wilson Pickett's "Hey Jude" and Aerosmith's "Come Together" is Zoot's biggest single, a hard rock (by 1970 standards) version of "Eleanor Rigby".

American record company RCA intended to sign Zoot up for an international contract after hearing Eleanor Rigby, but issues with Work Visas, multiple offers extended to Springfield to embark on a solo career and other setbacks in their personal lives resulted in the band breaking up on May 17, 1971. The band received many awards and accolades from critics in Australia after their break-up, but the damage was done and Zoot were no more.

After the break-up, Darryl Cotton and Beeb Birtles continued to work together as the band Frieze, which was short lived before Cotton headed to America to pursue a solo career. Birtles chose to remain in Australia, joining the band Mississippi. In 1975, Birtles and Mississippi hit the International scene under the name "Little River Band". So, ironically, by staying in Australia, Birtles got a better international record than Cotton, who went to America. Cotton currently tours in an Aussie supergroup that includes Jim Keays of the Masters Apprentices and Russell Morris. (who happens to be on of Salmacis' favourite artists, so if you ask him nicely I'm sure he'll make a thread :D)

Rick Springfield, of course, took up the offer of a solo career and scored hits with "Jessie's Girl", among others.

*Feldy Fun Fact: I am unsure if there is any connection, but The Muppet Show featured a character called "Zoot" in the fiction Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem band. Considering Keith Moon, Pink Floyd and Dr. John were all referenced in that fictional Muppet band, I often wonder if Henson's use of "Zoot" was not coincidental, although there is no real evidence to support this. Just thought I'd throw that out there :D

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Re: Zoot

BUMP

Didn't get much notice when I posted this in March, but I figured we've had a few new members so might get some notice now.

I can live in hope... ;)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Hey, cool thread Feldy! :grinthumb I liked the second song quite a bit as well as the Beatles cover. It's cool to know that Rick Springfield started off in a semi-successful band as I only know of his solo career. I actually thought he came off a soap opera or something. :heheh: Well, I gave you at least one more post in the thread! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I remember Springfield being a part of Zoot!! :grinthumb

1 x 2 x 3 x 4 is a great track!!

Reaction score

I really liked the second song posted, and I never knew Springfield was capable of much outside of Jessie's Girl.. I've seen a DVD of him, and heard a few more songs, but maybe just not my thing, but this was good.. pure rock n roll:hb:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Going though and updating some threads...I forgot about this one and thought I would bump this. Interesting fun band!! Rick Springfield was a part of this.

:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online