Zappa, anyone?

Sasquatch

Reaction score
The first time I saw Frank Zappa was in 1976, at the War Memorial in Rochester, NY. As huge an impact that The Beatles and Stones had on me the master, FZ, turned me inside out as far as my listening tastes. This was a man that made the transition from "playing" a bicycle on the Steve Allen Show to doing satirical(while artful),to theme-related, to jazz, to blues, to classical...and performed with soooo many talented musicians...composed and conducted classical and philharmonics...it never ceases to amaze me the wide gamut of genres that this true master could touch. Sometimes I think that FZ didn`t much care what his audience thought of what he did, or didn`t much care if his audience grew. Other times I think that there aren`t many Zappa fans(I know there`s tons of us)because of the strict and rigid(1000people polled)playlists offered by FM radio. Whatever the case...while the master has passed, the music hasn`t. Anyone that isn`t initiated...a good cd to check out is "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar"...it`s bluesy instrumental...another I`d suggest is "Roxy and Elsewhere"...perhaps his best live work. I`m always up for FZ discussion...and have, over the last three years sponsored an FZ party. Last year I had 61 people here....the farthest traveled guest came from Vancouver Washington. FZ was a rare talent...cared not what people thought, did what he wanted, and was drug-free, besides. Just think what kids like Shannon Noon or Kurt Cobain might`ve been had they been the same?

Jack

eccentric man

Reaction score
i really dig 'hot rats'. one of these days i'm gonna try learning 'little umbrellas' on my bass hehe

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Frank Zappa was an acquired taste for me. One of my college boyfriends was really into Zappa and I just didn't get it. After a while though, I sort of got into it and am now a bonafide fan (don't give up on LuLu ;) )

Apostrophe is a favorite of mine.

There are so many layers to Zappa it's amazing. True genius as I see it.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Music Wench said:
Frank Zappa was an acquired taste for me. One of my college boyfriends was really into Zappa and I just didn't get it. After a while though, I sort of got into it and am now a bonafide fan (don't give up on LuLu ;) )

Apostrophe is a favorite of mine.

There are so many layers to Zappa it's amazing. True genius as I see it.
I haven`t given up on LuLu, Marcia...you`re a perfect example...sometimes(I was an exception)it takes time to appreciate genius. My ex never got it...but after the divorce she asked for copies....and she`s told LuLu that it grows on you heh heh heh. Apostrophe ROCKS...have you heard Roxy & Elsewhere? Hot Rats....sheesh....I better stop I have 46 cd`s....I`m 22 or so short of listing them all.

Jack

LuLu likes Zappa more than she`ll admit.

Pssst....if you have a chance..."Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar"...no vocals...the man was a rare talent.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Sasquatch said:
I haven`t given up on LuLu, Marcia...you`re a perfect example...sometimes(I was an exception)it takes time to appreciate genius. My ex never got it...but after the divorce she asked for copies....and she`s told LuLu that it grows on you heh heh heh. Apostrophe ROCKS...have you heard Roxy & Elsewhere? Hot Rats....sheesh....I better stop I have 46 cd`s....I`m 22 or so short of listing them all.

Jack

LuLu likes Zappa more than she`ll admit.

Pssst....if you have a chance..."Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar"...no vocals...the man was a rare talent.
Love Shut Up and PlayYer Guitar. Most excellent. Haven't heard Roxy & Elsewhere but I'll definitely check it out. :)

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
i'll ignore yer cheap aroma
and yer lil bo peep diploma
i'll just put you in a coma
with my dirty luvvvv...

it's art, it is.

kath
who also loves the mothers at the fillmore

Sasquatch

Reaction score
kath said:
i'll ignore yer cheap aroma
and yer lil bo peep diploma
i'll just put you in a coma
with my dirty luvvvv...

it's art, it is.

kath
who also loves the mothers at the fillmore
Another great work...I think we`ll get along well

just me and my pygmy pony over by the dental floss bush....

Jack

BTW...I`m "Zombie Woof" in another discussion forum heh heh heh

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I'm glad you started the thread!
FZ is my rock and roll icon of choice.
for me, nobody comes close.

I remember looking through an Uncles new record stack in 1966.
Look at the photo of the Beatles on the back of Revolver. Sure, the cover is pretty striking but on the back they still seem to be pretty sharp dressers. NOW look at the cover of "Freak Out" THOSE guys are repulsive. They look like barbarians and they aren't smiling. I didn't know it yet but I was in love. My true inner rock and roll genie was released when I looked at those surly weirdos in bad four color relief.

I was lucky to live in L.A. during the Golden Age of F.M. Radio. Dee jays loved Zappa out here and nearly every album (except the real jazzy ones) got a LOT of airplay.
I agree that "Roxy and Elsewhere" is a dynamite slab of Zappa. As fond as I am of the snarling unwashed Mothers of my youth, I think the 'Roxy Band' might be the damndest set of players Mr. Zappa worked with (and he worked with a HOST)

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
I've been into Zappa since Freak Out! I drove my parents crazy with that album when I was in high school. Ruben and the Jets has always been a favorite because I am also a big fan of doo wop. I saw Zappa live circa 1971 in a church in Grand Rapids, MI. Unfortunately, I came down with the flu just before the show and don't remember much except it was loud.

Spike

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online