Your Thoughts on this?

Harkat

Reaction score
No, you're right.
They should have changed it to suit them.

joe

Reaction score
Plagiarism IMO. I've never heard Randy California talk about it.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Or they could just come up with their own stuff, the lack of creativity is why The Beatles are superior.

Naw, I'll still take Zeppelin! :D See, you could present fact after fact and it's still going to come down to the music that's reaching my ears and what it does for me personally. Neither group is even in my personal top 50 bands but did you really think you were going to sway a Zeppelin fan from this thread? :heheh: Aren't you happy enough that YOU like The Beatles the most or do you need a bigger fan base to back you up? :heheh:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Plagiarism IMO. I've never heard Randy California talk about it.

Randy died young, no telling if he would have pushed the issuse later on. But he obviously did not feel threatened by the warm up band. :rolleyes: It takes money and time to sue people and musicians didn't have much of either one back then.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Or they could just come up with their own stuff, the lack of creativity is why The Beatles are superior.

Naw, I'll still take Zeppelin! :D See, you could present fact after fact and it's still going to come down to the music that's reaching my ears and what it does for me personally. Neither group is even in my personal top 50 bands but did you really think you were going to sway a Zeppelin fan from this thread? :heheh: Aren't you happy enough that YOU like The Beatles the most or do you need a bigger fan base to back you up? :heheh:

I have to agree with Sooty (which seems to be the case very often). Personally, I'd take Zeppelin over The Beatles 70% of the time (though like Soot neither would crack the top 50 favorite bands). I don't much see why someone would need to cut down another band to like another more though. I mean, in the same that calling someone ugly doesn't make you any prettier, criticizing Zep's "lack of creativity" doesn't actually make The Beatles any more creative.

Besides, I've always thought "Stairway..." is heavily overrated anyway. It's a cool enough song with a sweet intro though.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
I have to agree with Sooty (which seems to be the case very often). Personally, I'd take Zeppelin over The Beatles 70% of the time (though like Soot neither would crack the top 50 favorite bands). I don't much see why someone would need to cut down another band to like another more though. I mean, in the same that calling someone ugly doesn't make you any prettier, criticizing Zep's "lack of creativity" doesn't actually make The Beatles any more creative.

Besides, I've always thought "Stairway..." is heavily overrated anyway. It's a cool enough song with a sweet intro though.

though completely ripped off.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Yeah yeah yeah, you've said that already. :rolleyes:

It's a standard arpeggio. I bet classical musicians (especially harpists) used the same melody before too. The fact of the matter though is that Jimmy Page took something that had been done before (since everything has been done before), whether by Spirit or anyone else, and turned it into one of the biggest things in music. Much like how the guitar solo just follows the pentatonic scale, the most beaten to death scale in music, and it's acclaimed as one of the best solos of all time.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'll take the Beatles over Zeppelin...but in the end I really don't care. I like Zeppelin just fine...whether Spirit had the same arpeggio or not. Stairway is a nice song and I never get tired of it.

In the end...I own more music by the Beatles than Zeppelin but still have complete works by both. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.