Your least favorite album/albums by your favorite band/bands?

Fever

Reaction score
.38 Special is one of my favorite bands but my least favorite album has to be Rock and Roll Strategy.It was their first album without lead singer Don Barnes.Max Carl replaced him.The album includes their worst song ever Second Chance.There are a couple of good songs on this album but it in no way compares to Wild Eyed Southern Boys or Special Forces.
.38 Special released one more album(Bone Against Steel) with Max Carl before Don Barnes rejoined the band.However when Barnes returned guitarist Jeff Carlisi left(why I don't know)

opera races

Reaction score
As a whole, yeah, it's not a great album by any means and easily Queen's worst album, which since John Deacon was the one that really pushed to make this a non rock album I think it scared him off of writing songs for the most part after this.

There are a few good songs on this album though and it does hold a little bit of a special place for me because "Under Pressure" introduced me to David Bowie.
I didn't know that bit about John Deacon and Hot Space.

Under Pressure first appeared on the 1981 Greatest Hits album. With all the other Queen compilations that were put out later on, I noticed the 1981 album got to be hard to find. I'm not a big Bowie fan but I do think David Bowie and Freddie sounded good together and it's too bad they didn't get around to doing or releasing more songs together. I've wondered why Under Pressure was put on Hot Space ... maybe just so it was on a regular studio album rather than a compilation?

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
^After the success of "Another One Bites The Dust" written by John Deacon, the band pushed for a more soulful/funk slant on "Hot Space" which alienated their U.S. fanbase. The album isn't bad. I like "Staying Power" the best...

On the "On Fire At The Bowl" concert, Mercury chastised the press about the criticism regarding the album. Deacon does dig soul, funk and r&b styles. More on him here:

Queen Interviews - John Deacon - 04-XX-1996 - Bassist & Bass Techniques - Queen Archives: Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor, John Deacon, Interviews, Articles, Reviews

joe

Reaction score
Yes-Talk.jpg
Trabin Rabin over-indulgent produced AOR/pop rock. I thought Yes was suppossed to be progressive? This isn't. Open Your Eyes is just as bad.

51Voz-WfO9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
This is just as bad as the album cover. I had huge expectations for this album.

5136SSFRM6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
A bamboozle. Love Beach is better than this.

31NVCYQsIkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
After thier first three albums, Stray changed thier formula to find "Success" and failed miserably. Too many hard rock/heavy psych/proto-metal bands of the 70's followed the similar path.

Last edited:

hawk11

Reaction score
Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!

Neil Young - On the Beach

Mott The Hoople - Wildlife

Black Sabbath - Born Again

Humble Pie - Eat It

Mountain - Avalanche

Traffic - When the Eagle Flies

Queen - Jazz

Electric Light Orchestra - Electric Light Orchestra

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I didn't know that bit about John Deacon and Hot Space.

Under Pressure first appeared on the 1981 Greatest Hits album. With all the other Queen compilations that were put out later on, I noticed the 1981 album got to be hard to find. I'm not a big Bowie fan but I do think David Bowie and Freddie sounded good together and it's too bad they didn't get around to doing or releasing more songs together. I've wondered why Under Pressure was put on Hot Space ... maybe just so it was on a regular studio album rather than a compilation?

From what I've heard Freddie, Brian, and Roger all encouraged John to write more songs but he always felt insecure about his ability to write songs in comparison to the others. After scoring big hits with "You're My Best Friend" and "Another One Bites The Dust" John pushed for the band to do a more soul and R&B based album since, unlike the other members of Queen, he was most influenced by those instead of rock. The song "Back Chat" in particular caused some tension in the group. Brian really wanted to add a guitar solo but John fought him to leave it as it was. In the end Brian got his way but some feelings were hurt.

After "Hot Space" was released and criticized so harshly John back off on songwriting quite a bit and only had one more hit to his name with Queen which was "I Want To Break Free".

Mott The Hoople - Wildlife

Queen - Jazz

"Wildlife" isn't my favorite Mott album ever but one really strong redeeming quality about it is the song "Waterlow" though. One of Ian's most heartfelt songs and one of my favorite Mott The Hoople tracks.

Everyone is always so mean to "Jazz". I really love that album.

Syd

Reaction score
Arctic Monkeys - Humbug: I was really, really dissapointed when it first came out. Now i kinda like it, but it's still nothing like any of their other albums.

The Velvet Underground - Squeeze: I have never heard it ... and I never will.

opera races

Reaction score
I think You're My Best Friend is a great Queen song and while John Deacon didn't write as many songs as the other band members I like his work. I don't have anything against bands and band members exploring soul/R&B/funk (e.g. Mick Jones of The Clash and later Big Audio Dymamite) but sometimes it doesn't work out whether from an artistic point of view or the fans not accepting it or both.

Queen's Jazz IMO is a very under appreciated album. Coincidentally I've been listening to it this week and thinking about writing a review on it!

The version of REO's You Get What You Play For that is on CD, from what I've read and understand does not sound like a good package. In attempting to squeeze four sides of a long two vinyl record set onto one CD they left off a couple tracks (Gary's Guitar Solo, Little Queenie). I think a lot of people are particularly disappointed by Gary's Guitar Solo being left out. Personally I think "Side 3" of the original vinyl version (Flying Turkey Trot, Gary's Guitar Solo, 157 Riverside Ave., Ridin' The Storm Out) kicks butt and I narrowly prefer it to the live recordings on "Side 3" of A Decade of Rock and Roll.

I guess another "unfavorite" that can be added to the list in this thread due to poor execution would be the initial releases on CD of old ZZ Top albums such as Tres Hombres and Rio Grande Mud.

As an afterthought I'll add Metallica's St. Anger. It is horrible and I do not even include it in my "collection" for completist purposes!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online