Your favourite post-Dio Rainbow album?

My favourite post-Dio Rainbow album is...?

• Down To Earth

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Difficult To Cure

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Straight Between The Eyes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Bent Out Of Shape

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Stranger In Us All

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I need psychiatric help - I hate post-Dio Rainbow... ;-)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

E-Z

Reaction score
1.Down To Earth I like this album from start to finish especially All Night Long, Eyes Of The World, Since You've Been Gone & Lost In Hollywood.
2.Difficult To Cure A good album from start to finish, some of the lesser known tracks such as No Release, Freedom Fighter & Midtown Tunnel Vision are good to listen to as well also I saw the band live in concert when they were promoting this album as part of the European leg of the tour in London.
3.Bent Out Of Shape Another enjoyable album from start to finish with strong tracks such as Stranded, Can't Let You Go & Street Of Dreams.
4.Straight Between The Eyes Yet another good album with many strong tracks on it such as Death Ally Driver, MISS-mistreated & Power.
5.Stranger In Us All About 12 years later after the Bent Out Of Shape album and it's quite a good album but I rarely play it these days.

I don't think Blackmore brought Rainbow over to Europe to promote the Straight Between The Eyes album because I believe he concentrated on the USA during 1982 to try a crack it. A video of the Straight Between The Eyes tour was filmed in Texas and was released sometime later in the 1980s because I bought a copy of it and I believe it was even shown on Saturday late night television in the UK onetime as I vaguely remember seeing it.

Last edited:

Cozy 4ever

Reaction score
Wow, I am the only one who prefers Bent Out of Shape! and also the only one who really hated Down to Earth.

E-Z

Reaction score
Wow, I am the only one who prefers Bent Out of Shape! and also the only one who really hated Down to Earth.
Hey Cozy I really like the BENT OUT OF SHAPE album as well and I originally bought it on vinyl back in 1983 and from memory the UK vinyl version of the album originally came in a grey record sleeve but later on it appeared in a green cd sleeve which I think is the way it came out in the USA in a green record sleeve?. The opening track Stranded is a great fast rocker also there is a slightly rare live version of that song recorded in Cardiff in 1983. Talking of which I missed RAINBOW'S live appearance at the Michael Sobel Centre in north London back in 1983 by a couple of days because I wasn't even aware the band were playing??.

How can you hate DOWN TO EARTH it was Rainbow's best studio album.

Last edited:

darklands

everything's broken, and my Stacys are soaking wet
Reaction score
Down to Earth for me, easily - they went downhill after that I thought.

E-Z

Reaction score
Down to Earth for me, easily - they went downhill after that I thought.
I know where your coming from darklands but I personally like the Joe Lynn Turner albums especially Difficult To Cure & Bent Out Of Shape. I have always regretted Ritchie breaking up Rainbow after the Bent Out Of Shape album because I thought the bands fortunes where on the up at the time 1983/84. In a interview Ritchie gave sometime back in the 1990s he claimed that the money to reform Deep Purple was "ridiculous" and that he asked for an astronomical amount of money thinking that it wouldn't be paid and to his surprise it was!!. I believe I read in recent years that Ritchie said it was a mistake breaking Rainbow up and being part of the 1984 reformation of Deep Purple.

darklands

everything's broken, and my Stacys are soaking wet
Reaction score
I keep trying to get round to listening to the later Rainbow albums - I Surrender and Spotlight Kid put me off (I know, others will disagree) and I never really went back. I think Blackmore lacked a 'partner' [Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards] - someone who was his equal, to 'keep him in check' - though maybe Dio and Glover served the purpose at times. In the eyes of the audience (us), I think maybe he made a number of wrong choices....

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
Ritchie needed to broaden Rainbow's appeal to a wider audience because the band was BIG in Europe & Japan but hadn't broken in the USA so he had to get rid of Ronnie and Graham only lasted for one album so he brought Joe Lynn Turner a Italian/American into the band and started to write more 'commercial' material aimed at the USA. From memory the Straight Between The Eyes album was toured across the USA but they didn't bother with a European tour although they did tour Europe with the next album Bent Out Of Shape in 1983 because I remember the band played the Michael Sobel Centre in Holloway near Finsbury Park in north London in 1983 (which I missed!!).

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online