Your favourite classic rock radio station(s)

Zombeels

Reaction score
if a tree falls in the woods and you aren't there to hear it, does it still make a sound?
Yes, I'm sure the animals and other woodland creatures heard it.

If a song is played on a radio station that you aren't listening to, is it overplayed and/or annoying?
Yes, to many others.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Maybe because they don't have some 40 plus years behind many of the songs.

Lots of modern rock era bands have been out 10-20 years...

They had plenty of time to get overplayed...and they haven't.

How about ''modern rock'' in general sucks....that's why.

Radio won't even play it.

elfranco

Reaction score
Having witnessed, lived through, experienced, lived and heard the best music (era) ever, I will never: pay to listen to a radio, listen to a radio, turn on a radio or give anyone time to explain to me why radio is any good. RADIO in 2010 IS DEAD! Back inthe day, "underground" stations soon became the main stream. You weren't alive, cool, smart or even popular unless you listened to it. All we need is radio gaga. You've got it. I grew up litening to WABC 770AM. Cousin Brucie, Dan Ingram and the like played what was POPular. Yes there were repeats, but it was all palatable, evn the schlocky crap was good. Motown, Brits, American rock, it was all there. Then my family moved 100 miles west to an area in Pa. known as the Lehigh Valley. An AM statio called WSAN/1470 went underground and played early Zep, Traffic, Argent and all the rest of the late 60's grooves. It was a time to behold. But our crappy radios couldn't pull NYC out that far, and the closest big city with tunes was Philly. I couldn't stand their flavor, because NYC was all I knew. To this day, my radio never goes on. The day of proper broadcasting is done. I will never pay a cent to have radio stations. I have a music collection which serves me well. If I want to hear George Benson, Dave Mason, Mozart or The Mermaids, they are just a few pushed buttons away. That's all I'll ever need. Paying for satellite is so dead, that the money I save from not paying for dat shit, I can expand my collection. I have my own juke box and I never get the BOHICA. Bend Over Here It Comes Again. ................................strollin' down the street smokin' endo sippin' on gin and jooce, laid back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind..............................:bow: bow down to da bowwow
You're like Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, you'll neve go platinum.
"Don't try to lay no Boogie Woogie on the King Of Rock and Roll!" Long John Baldry

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's pretty tough to not choose The Fox in Cincinnati. :grinthumb

The Fox is a great station, with very few repeats. The are known for playing such a wide variety and B sides. :bow:

Having witnessed, lived through, experienced, lived and heard the best music (era) ever, I will never: pay to listen to a radio, listen to a radio, turn on a radio or give anyone time to explain to me why radio is any good. RADIO in 2010 IS DEAD! Back inthe day, "underground" stations soon became the main stream. You weren't alive, cool, smart or even popular unless you listened to it. All we need is radio gaga. You've got it. I grew up litening to WABC 770AM. Cousin Brucie, Dan Ingram and the like played what was POPular. Yes there were repeats, but it was all palatable, evn the schlocky crap was good. Motown, Brits, American rock, it was all there. Then my family moved 100 miles west to an area in Pa. known as the Lehigh Valley. An AM statio called WSAN/1470 went underground and played early Zep, Traffic, Argent and all the rest of the late 60's grooves. It was a time to behold. But our crappy radios couldn't pull NYC out that far, and the closest big city with tunes was Philly. I couldn't stand their flavor, because NYC was all I knew. To this day, my radio never goes on. The day of proper broadcasting is done. I will never pay a cent to have radio stations. I have a music collection which serves me well. If I want to hear George Benson, Dave Mason, Mozart or The Mermaids, they are just a few pushed buttons away. That's all I'll ever need. Paying for satellite is so dead, that the money I save from not paying for dat shit, I can expand my collection. I have my own juke box and I never get the BOHICA. Bend Over Here It Comes Again. ................................strollin' down the street smokin' endo sippin' on gin and jooce, laid back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind..............................:bow: bow down to da bowwow
You're like Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, you'll neve go platinum.
"Don't try to lay no Boogie Woogie on the King Of Rock and Roll!" Long John Baldry

Franco, that is a funny dissertation!

BOHICA...you are the second person I know who has ever used that term, infact I have that as my screen name in a couple forums I want to remain anonymous in :D

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Well put elfranco.:cheers:

Two words can describe free radio's downfall: Clear Channel. Corporate homogenization of art. Buy up all the radio stations and cut the playlists down.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Well put elfranco.:cheers:

Two words can describe free radio's downfall: Clear Channel. Corporate homogenization of art. Buy up all the radio stations and cut the playlists down.
Not to mention the added commercials, as well as restricting the DJs' freedom of playing their own sets during their four hour shifts.

I only listen to radio if I absolutely have to listen to music and I don't happen to have any cds with me either at work or in the car.

If a radio station sucks, it's usually a reflection of the music they play. There are still a few good stations here in L.A., but they play waaaaaaay too many commercials. But when you have corporate ownership like Clear Channel, you gotta stay solvent with more advertising income.

And even without commercials, it's unbelievable to me how repetitive music has become even on satellite radio (according to some). Despite the variety satellite radio offers, you're still locked into listening in one setting only. So unless I can expense it on my tax returns, no thanks.

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Not to mention the added commercials, as well as restricting the DJs' freedom of playing their own sets during their four hour shifts.

I only listen to radio if I absolutely have to listen to music and I don't happen to have any cds with me either at work or in the car.

If a radio station sucks, it's usually a reflection of the music they play. There are still a few good stations here in L.A., but they play waaaaaaay too many commercials. But when you have corporate ownership like Clear Channel, you gotta stay solvent with more advertising income.

And even without commercials, it's unbelievable to me how repetitive music has become even on satellite radio (according to some). Despite the variety satellite radio offers, you're still locked into listening in one setting only. So unless I can expense it on my tax returns, no thanks.

I agree Dave78. I don't long for Satellite radio when I can listen to pretty much the same thing virtually for free, different genres of streaming, commercial free radio on the internet. The argument could be made that it isn't free, that we do pay for our internet access, broadband or whatever, however we also utilize the net for many things - email, web, etc. so it's a small part of the overall package. Sure, you eventually hear a song repeated but it's pleasent to hear it again because it's usually a rarely played chestnut to begin with.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Lots of modern rock era bands have been out 10-20 years...

They had plenty of time to get overplayed...and they haven't.

How about ''modern rock'' in general sucks....that's why.

Radio won't even play it.

yeah there's modern rock that gets overplayed, like Muse, Rise Against, Wolf Mother, etc, it also sucks so i don't listen to those stations either.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure the animals and other woodland creatures heard it.

Yes, to many others.

totally agree. just because i don't listen to the classic rock station doesn't mean they don't overplay the same 100 or 200 songs they choose from. and that's the problem, classic rock stations have zero diversity

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online