Register to remove these ads

Your Favorite Songs?

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by Buff, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buff

Buff ~going mobile~

For something a bit different.....let's take a list of upper deck groups/artists and state your favorite songs by them, and why. Here's the list (not necessarily in any particular order, just as they came to my head):

1. The Beatles

2. The Rolling Stones

3. Pink Floyd

4. Led Zeppelin

5. Elvis Presley

6. U2

7. The Who

8. Grateful Dead

9. Allman Brothers

10. The Eagles

11. The Doors

12. Jimi Hendriz

13. Van Halen

14. AC/DC

15. Lynyrd Skynyrd

16. Add yours :phones:

2. Buff

Buff ~going mobile~

I'll start. :grinthumb

1. The Beatles - Tie between In My Life and Penny Lane. I've lost a number of friends along the way, and the former reminds me of them. And I just like the melody of the latter.

2. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter. Reminds me of a Super Sunday back in the 80's when the Stones were the big liner on a long bill and they opened with this and we were all rushing in the gates.

3. Pink Floyd - um, everything? Okay, if I have to choose one...Shine On You Crazy Diamond, err, no....Brain Damage, err, can I change that to Eclipse? Or can I count the two as one? Or...... Anything by Floyd brings visions (flashbacks??)

4. Led Zeppelin - Misty Mountain Hop. Love the lyrics.

5. Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome Tonight. Remember very clearly from my childhood.

6. U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday. I was at the show "Under A Blood Red Sky" at Red Rocks a number of years ago. Totally fitting.

7. The Who - here's another "pick anything". The Who are my absolute favorite band, but if I have to choose a favorite song, it would have to be 5:15, altho Long Live Rock just came on the box....hmmmmmm

8. Grateful Dead - Casey Jones. Another one of those "flashback" songs. You know..... :D

9. Allman Brothers - Whipping Post. Prolly cuz that's how I often feel here at work.

10. The Eagles - Seven Bridges Road

11. The Doors - Touch Me, I love the horns in that one

12. Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower, need I explain?

13. Van Halen - Dance The Night Away

14. AC/DC - Big Balls :D Prolly cuz it's rarely ever played?

15. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me The Breeze

16. Add yours - Moody Blues - Isn't Life Strange

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  3. AboutAGirl

AboutAGirl oh, be nice

1. The Beatles - Helter Skelter, 'cause it kicks SO MUCH hard rock ass, and the lyrics are coolio. Though Happiness Is A Warm Gun would come in 2nd.

2. The Rolling Stones - right now... Rain Fall Down... because that song is hip as heck and it totally makes me think of my life.

3. Pink Floyd - right now... The Final Cut. This is one of THE BEST songs ever made. So fricking powerful!

4. Led Zeppelin - right now... Custard Pie... 'cause it freaking rocks, and it's got a groove that I can totally relate to.

5. Elvis Presley - n/a

6. U2 - Vertigo... 'cause it's catchy ;)

7. The Who - right now... Love Reign O'er Me, since it's a powerful song and it seems powerful enough of a song to hold the concept of love without really saying much.

8. Grateful Dead - Friend Of The Devil. It's the type of song that is soo special. Makes me think of myself, again.

9. Allman Brothers - Whipping Post. Very powerful, very groovey.

10. The Eagles - Take It Easy - 'cause I think it's true.

11. The Doors - Oh man... right now, Five to One - 'cause it's groovey as hell and omg it's so powerful. I gotta go in this car with some people... oh man...

12. Jimi Hendrix - Right now... gonna go with Bold As Love. I love the lyrics and the mood.

13. Van Halen - hmmm... no favorite.

14. AC/DC - The Jack. Totally cool.

15. Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Needle and the Spoon, 'cause it's groovey.

16. Nirvana - You Know You're Right because it's powerful and eloquent as heck.

4. eccentric man

eccentric man Senior Member

1. The Beatles - i want you (she's so heavy)

2. The Rolling Stones - sympathy for the devil

3. Pink Floyd - dark side of the moon (side 1)... it should count as one 'track'

4. Led Zeppelin - when the levee breaks. the drums own

5. Elvis Presley - viva las vegas

6. U2 - bullet the blue sky

7. The Who - magic bus

8. Grateful Dead - ripple

9. Allman Brothers - n/a

10. The Eagles - i hate the eagles

11. The Doors - love me two times

12. Jimi Hendrix - as of late it's been 'house burning down'

13. Van Halen - hot for teacher

14. AC/DC - back in black

15. Lynyrd Skynyrd - tuesday's gone

16. Nirvana - milk it

not sure if we're supposed to keep adding to the list or just adding our own personal choice but i don't know the moody blues much... but i do know nirvana... and the red hot chili peppers (if you have to ask) haha

5. runtfan

runtfan Senior Member

OK, I'll play. Some of my opinions are more informed than others.

1. The Beatles - I Feel Fine...no defense at all for my choice...just one of a couple dozen songs I could have picked.

2. The Rolling Stones - Heartbreaker...not that big a Stones fan, but this is one of their songs I'll go out of my way to listen to.

3. Pink Floyd - Dogs...I like the guitar work (both electric and acoustic) and the imagery.

4. Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven...cliche, I know, but the studio version of this is pleasing on so many levels - the instrumentation,the mix, the arrangement, the solo...

5. Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock

6. U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)...I like the music, the message and the energy. The last verse (...early morning,April 4, a shot rings out in the Memphis sky...) never fails to give me the chills.

7. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again...So many great who songs, but I'll have to go with one of their most energetic anthems.

8. Grateful Dead - Truckin'...not all that knowledgable, but this one's pretty good.

9. Allman Brothers - Southbound...'cause the whole band is smokin' on it.

10. The Eagles - One Of These Nights...could have picked any number of songs, but this one is always at or near the top of my list.

11. The Doors - Riders On The Storm...I always liked the vibe and the cool piano playing.

12. Jimi Hendrix - Fire...I just love the energy.

13. Van Halen - Meanstreet

14. AC/DC - What Do You Do For Money...not a fan, but this is one of their songs I like.

15. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Workin' For MCA

16. Todd Rundgren - Just One Victory...I like everything about it...uplifting lyrics,great melody, great vocal harmonies and chord progressions. Grat anthem. I can't believe no sports team has latched onto this as a theme song.

6. Martha Washington

Martha Washington eat it! it's GOOD for you

1. The Beatles - well, the first one I thought of was "you never give me your money" I'm cool with that!

2. The Rolling Stones - "Salt of the Earth" I usually pick "Let it Bleed". both songs strike me as being pretty 'human'. maybe 'Salt of the Earth' is a little easier to defend.

3. Pink Floyd - is "seamus" the one on 'Meddle' with the howling dog? well, that's the one. I'd predict big things for that dog but he's probably dead.

4. Led Zeppelin - The first time I heard "when the levee breaks" on the radio I put on my socks and shoes, walked a couple miles and bought the album. I still do this every time I hear it. copies of the album are piling up around me.

5. Elvis Presley - "Heartbreak Hotel"
    I think Elvis' vocal on this song is just amazing. one day science will prove that this is what the sex drive actually sounds like

6. U2 - Even Better than the Real Thing.
    you seen the video? you know how it goes all topsy-turvy? that's how my head feels when I hear this song. I guess I'm a topsy-turvey kind of guy.

7. The Who -
    "Young Man's Blues" I have a friend who says the Who doesn't rock. he's a very nice guy but this song proves he doesn't know WHAT the heck he's talking about.

8. Grateful Dead - 'Friend of the Devil' whenever I hear the Dead, I feel like old friends have dropped by for a visit. this is one of my favorites.

9. Allman Brothers - Statesboro Blues
    because I woke up this morning with the Statesboro Blues and I've never even BEEN to Statesboro!

10. The Eagles - "In the City"
    cause I can close my eyes and pretend it's Joe Walsh. Remind me to tell you how much I hate the Eagles one of these days.

11. The Doors - "Wishful Sinful" followed VERY closely by 'The Crystal Ship'
    sometimes the Doors was pretty.
    yup.

12. Jimi Hendrix - 'Belly Button Window'
    he was such a great showman and all but Jimi had heart. this song sounds pretty wise for such a young guy.

13. Van Halen - 'Hot for Teacher'
    I like these guys best when they are getting their rocks off.

14. AC/DC - Dirty Deeds DONE DIRT CHEAP.
    I like these guys best when they are getting everybody's rocks off.

15. Lynyrd Skynyrd -
    'Saturday Night Special' that was one tight outfit. always liked this one.

16. a.) Moody Blues - "higher and higher"
    cause it blasts, billows and bursts forth with the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes!

b.) Nirvana - 'In Bloom' this song reminded me of WAY too many people I knew, so I moved.

c.)Todd Rundgren - "When I Pray"
    when I pray/please be there! HA! classy, snappy song of faith, I love it.

and I will add:
    d.) Neil Young - my favorite overrated canadian with girlie arms!
    " Needle and the damage Done" even as a kid, this song blew me away. just because somebody's a junkie doesn't mean they don't MATTER, you know?

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  7. Music Wench

Music Wench Rock and Roll Grandma

1. The Beatles - A tie between While My Guitar Gently Weeps and A Day In The Life. The first one because I just love the Eric Clapton guitar work and the second because it's just a wonderfully constructed song, IMO.

2. The Rolling Stones - Hmm....this is a hard one...gonna go with Salt of the Earth because I love the lyrics and the spirit of the song. Also could have gone with Time Waits For No One - love the Mick Taylor guitar work. Oh and Moonlight Mile....better stop here.

3. Pink Floyd - Can't pick just one but I can pick one album - Dark Side of the Moon. As many here know, I already find this album to be the closest thing to perfection.

4. Led Zeppelin - Another tough one...I'd have to say another tie between When The Levee Breaks and Kashmir. The first one because of John Bonham's phenominal drumming (thought that is present on everything I am pretty fond of that particular song) and Kashmir because it's a beautiful song for imagery both lyrical and musical.

5. Elvis Presley - Yikes....sorry, but I can't say I like anything by Elvis. Yea, yea, I'm being blasphemous.

6. U2 - Another hard one...but for the moment I'd have to say One. Great sentiments behind the song.

7. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - What can I say? Greatest scream in rock and roll and a real kick ass song.

8. Grateful Dead - Box of Rain - Great lyrics.

9. Allman Brothers - Melissa - Love the song. Brings back great memories.

10. The Eagles - Hotel California - Great song, great they got Joe Walsh. :D

11. The Doors - Roadhouse Blues - One of my favorite songs to play when I was at college radio.

12. Jimi Hendrix - Crosstown Traffic - Another favorite to play on college radio.

13. Van Halen - Right Now - Yes, a Sammy Hagar song. Love Sammy and this is my favorite Van Halen tune - with or without DLR.

14. AC/DC - Back In Black tied with House of Jazz - Love this band and these two are the ones I generally listen to most.

15. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Not a huge enough fan to be able to think of any song other than Freebird which I would be quite happy to never hear again. Great song, incredibly overplayed.

16. Neil Young - Keep On Rockin' In The Free World - Cause it's just great rock and roll Neil. All the elements of him I just love. Neil the pissed off curmudgeonly liberal.

8. Reverend Rock

Reverend Rock cool music and hot coffee

1. The Beatles--THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD because I think it's one of the most beautiful melodies ever written.

2. The Rolling Stones--Oh gosh, that's hard to narrow down. This week I think I'll go with YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT because of the extremely creative arrangement...I love all that choir-and-French-horn-meets-blues-rock stuff...

3. Pink Floyd--Another tough one to narrow down. US AND THEM really says a lot about the human condition, I think.

4. Led Zeppelin--I've always been a sucker for STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN.

5. Elvis Presley--SUSPICIOUS MINDS because I think it is the absolute peak of his genius as a song interpreter, and just a great and timeless pop classic.

6. U2--Easy. I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR is my favorite song of all time. Incredible.

7. The Who--PURE AND EASY...It has a great melody, a lot of neat little mood changes here and there, and the words have a very deep spiritual meaning for me.

8. Grateful Dead--ESTIMATED PROPHET...Fantastic groove and goofy mysticism lyrics...what's not to love? (I think Phish owes about half of their career to this song!)

9. Allman Brothers--MIDNIGHT RIDER...OK, I'm 16 years old in the mid-70s and out cruisin' in my '62 Rambler with a friend who plays this song on my 8-track tape deck...need I say any more?

10. The Eagles--HOTEL CALIFORNIA...all the usual reasons.

11. The Doors--TOUCH ME, just because it's a great AM radio tune (from a band that was never about AM radio)...

12. Jimi Hendrix--ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER...the very apex of his craft as a singer, a guitarist, and a master of the recording studio...a total masterpiece (oh yeah, and that Dylan guy is a pretty fair songwriter)...

13. Van Halen--RIGHT NOW from the Hagar era. It's really the only song by them I consider of any lasting value (The Rev quickly ducks under the table to avoid flying tomatoes)...

14. AC/DC--You mean they actually have songs? (The Rev ducks again...)

15. Lynyrd Skynyrd--Just to avoid any of the obvious choices (I really do like "Free Bird" a lot), I'll go with TUESDAY'S GONE. I just think it's a beautiful rock ballad.

16. For my own personal pick, I'll go with SURF'S UP by the Beach Boys (or Brian Wilson, since he also recorded it for the SMiLE album--either version is fine by me). I consider it probably the greatest song of the 20th century. Melodically and lyrically it is without peer. Just listen to it sometime, and think for a moment about the fact that this work of singular artistic genius was created by a couple of kids just out of their teens (Brian was 24 at the time and lyricist par excellance Van Dyke Parks was only 22)...unbelivable, just unbelievable...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  9. TeleCat

TeleCat Blackmore's Advocate

1. The Beatles - Yer Blues or Dear Prudence

2. The Rolling Stones - Bitch or Undercover of the Night

3. Pink Floyd - no favorite

4. Led Zeppelin - For Your Life or We're Gonna Groove

5. Elvis Presley - no favorite

6. U2 - no favorite

7. The Who - Eminence Front or Young Man Blues

8. Grateful Dead - no favorite

9. Allman Brothers - Blue Sky or Southbound

10. The Eagles - Seven Bridges Road or In The City

11. The Doors - Peace Frog

12. Jimi Hendrix - Power to Love or Castles Made Of Sand

13. Van Halen - Outta Love Again or 5150

14. AC/DC - Riff Raff or Beating Around the Bush

15. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Working For MCA or I Know a Little

16. My personal favorite: No One Came by Deep Purple and Stargazer by Rainbow

10. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Captain Karma

I'll get back to ya. Got to think about it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.