Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force - Marching Out (1985)

Herulf

Reaction score
51XIHp46qfL._SS500_.jpg

I remember my first encounter with Mr Malmsteen's music, watching the music video for "I'll see the light tonight" on MTV in the mid-eighties. I was totally, and I mean totally, blown away by his blistering fast guitar playing! I also loved the sound, the dark sound with some classical influences thrown in. Yngwie has released a whole bunch of albums since then, but I still rate this album among the best. I think there was more magic in his first 3 albums, and his playing sounds a bit more inspired and "fresh". Released in 1985, this was his second album after his nearly all-instrumental self titled first release.
Yngwie has always managed to get talanted musicians into his band, and this album makes no exception to that rule. The voice of Jeff Scott Soto (later in Eyes, Talisman) fits perfectly to the songs, and this was a very important album for his career. The Johansson brothers, Anders (drums) and Jens (keyboards, later in Dio and Stratovarious) both do an amazing job. Jens in particular, classically influenced in his playing, makes an excellent contribution to the sound and feel of this release. Last, but certainly not least, is Marcel Jacob (later in Talisman) on bass. What an amazing bass player this was! Truly missed by his fans all over the world. Personal highlights on the album are the forementioned "I'll see the light tonight", "Disciples of hell" and "Soldier without faith".

Tracks:
1. Prelude
2. I'll see the light tonight
3. Don't let it end
4. Disciples of hell
5. I am a Viking
6. Overture 1383
7. Anguish and fear
8. On the run again
9. Soldier without faith
10. Caught in the middle
11. Marching out

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force - Marching Out

Cool review! I remember when this first came out. I was still fresh with the debut but thought this to be equally epic!! Amazing album (CD)!

Don't Let it End is beautiful and Disciples of Hell??

What a tune!!

Herulf

Reaction score
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force - Marching Out

I agree, those are great songs! :)

On the bonus CD from the "Inspiration" album there is a never before released track from the Marching Out sessions. It's called "I'm evil", and should definately have been included from the beginning!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online