Register to remove these ads

X Japan (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by Cosmic Harmony, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Cosmic Harmony

Cosmic Harmony Senior Member

Totally. :grinthumb Is his influence from KISS evident? :D

I've seen lots of comments on his drum work and they range from "He's the greatest" to "That was awful" to "Is that a guy or a girl" (as if shirtless women can get posted on Youtube. :rolleyes:) and I will say that Yoshiki is a great drummer but he is not great in the same way as Neil Pert of Mike Portnoy. What he lacks in the outstanding technical ability that drummers like Mike and Neil have he makes up for with intensity and stamina. His endurance is what lets him play 3 hours shows full of furious drumming without once going off beat and still have the energy to run to the other side of the stage to play piano multiple times, sometimes in midsong.

Here's a newer one from a decade later at their reunion shows:

This one has less fury but still very intense. At points they show members of the crowd and I think it's amazing how they're all staring up mouths agape, totally speechless and some even in tears as he (particularly in the second video) appears to be dying in the middle of his drum solo.

So unreal....

2. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

Re: X Japan

cant listen to it yet! D:

3. Cosmic Harmony

Why is that? :huh:

4. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

Am at 'work'

5. Cosmic Harmony

X Japan had been planning on releasing the lead single to their upcoming album, "Jade", this month but with the disasters in Japan right now they have postponed it. Here "Jade" regardless though (as it's been release in Japan already):

Upon it's release it'll be their first single release in the States and while I don't see it charting at all I still like it. Not quite as much as their pre-breakup work but I still like it.

Also Yoshiki is acutioning off his crystal piano with all the proceeds going to help fund the aid for the earthquake and tsunami victims. I am sure he'll fetch quite the pretty penny for it:

[​IMG]

6. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

Dang, that piano is insanely gorgeous. I wonder how much it cost to have that thing custom made?

7. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

I'd be too afraid to play that piano with the fear that I may break it.

8. Cosmic Harmony

Well a normal grand piano usually costs as much as $25,000 right off the bat but can go as high as $50,000 so I'd say it's in the upper end of that price range. Factor in that it's custom made and that it has his star power behind it and my guess is that it could easily break $100,000 in an auction....or at least that's my guess.

9. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

Here is Yoshiki's actual piano...and I looked for a price tag...and from what I read from an old New York Times article dated 2002, they were selling for approx $98,000.

[​IMG]

10. Cosmic Harmony

Oh drat, I was off by only $2000. :D

It really is a beautiful instrument though. If I could some how procure that much money I'd buy it. :grinthumb