1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X Japan (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by Cosmic Harmony, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Cosmic Harmony

Cosmic Harmony Senior Member

Re: Meet X Japan

Ok so I found something special today...Back in early '08 X Japan announced they would get back together and would kick these off with three concert at the Tokyo Dome (which housed all of their biggest shows, including New Years Eve '93, '94, '95, '96, and '97 the last being what was at the time thought to be their final show and was released as "The Last Live") March 28- The Night of Destruction, March 29- The Night of Madness
    and March 30- The Night of Creation.
    Anyway on the first day the band opted to play their half hour long, magnum opus "Art Of Life" live for only the third time since it's release. Roughly 16 minutes into it Yoshiki collapsed right before the piano solo (they played the remainder of the song the following night) and the band had to continue with an impromptu unplugged session in their pianist/drummer's absence, which I must say was very well especially considering how it hastily was put together.
    BUT THAT IS NEITHER HERE NOR THERE AS I AM JUST HAVING ONE OF MY USUALLY MUSICALLY FACT SPASMS.

Aaaaaanywho, today I stumbled across someone on Youtube who, by some sort of witchcraft I can assume, has footage of these shows and not like "filmed with a camera phone from the crowd" footage, but like the actually footage. Now it was my understanding that it was not something that was commercially released nor ever broadcast so it is truly touched me. After a decade away from each other they all still performed great.

The thing that I wanted to highlight is THE most touching thing I've ever seen in a live performance. As you can read from the introduction X Japan's lead guitarist and perhaps most beloved member (rivaled only by Yoshiki) hide (and for the record his name is typeset with a lower case "h" and is pronounce like "he-day" as apposed to going with the most English pronunciation like "hide and seek"((sorry...fact spasm)).) passed some years ago, but during their performance of "Art Of Life" they actually had a hologram on stage playing with them! Not a projection, but an actually hologram. Like all scifi-y. I mean, I'd seen a US news team using this to talk to Will.I.Am (for some reason) just last year and that was big news but Japan as (as expected) a whole year ahead of us and because of that hide was joining the band and the fans from beyond death in an almost angelic entity. Here, see for yourself. This is the end of "Art Of Life" and there is footage of hide mixed in there but it's around the 4 minute mark that you really see him on stage with the rest of the band....

How amazing is that?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

Beautiful!! Just Beautiful! Outstanding in fact!!

I have this one myspace friend who it seems has had this song as her profile song for years.

:tup:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  3. Cosmic Harmony

"Say Anything" is the closing track on their third album "Jealousy" and is one of their most popular songs, as well as one of my favorites. Once released it was the closing song at their concerts until "Tears" replaced it during their (at the time) final tour. ^^

4. METALPRIEST

:grinthumb

5. Cosmic Harmony

Oh and X Japan will be playing at Lollapalooza this year by the way, one of their first ever US concerts.

6. METALPRIEST

REALLY :wtf: :grinthumb

7. Cosmic Harmony

Yep, really. I really want to go because I don't know if I'd ever get the chance to see them again, but I'm fiscally pressed and can't afford to.........

8. Kuaizi

Kuaizi Senior Member

Cosmic, that Art of Life video was EPIC!! Yoshiki is such a brilliant drummer and musician~ I really like the Saw IV song also, that's actually the first time I heard of them, and then after a bit of reading and youtube watching, I was hooked. It just stinks their albums are so stinkin expensive and hard to find~~

So they are coming to Lollapalooza really?? That's like, next weekend!

9. Cosmic Harmony

Well their albums are hard to come across because they're all imports since they never really expanded their fanbase to the American market, HOWEVER in addition to playing at Lollapalooza they're also going to be going on their first US tour ever and have their first album in over 10 years in the works and slated for release this fall. Great news all around. :grinthumb

My source:
    X JAPAN Heading Towards Their First American Tour in October. YOSHIKI "This is a restart in various meanings." - MUSIC JAPAN+ -news+-

10. Cosmic Harmony

X Japan's mastermind Yoshiki finally got his long overdue neck surgery. For more than a decade Yoshiki has had to wear a neck brace while drumming because of his furious and punishing drumming style (particularly during the from the mid 80's to the early 90's). With this surgery he should now be able to drum without a neck brace without causing severe damage to his vertebrates.

[​IMG]