Would you give up digital and go back to vinyl music?

Would you give up Digital music and go back to Analog formats?

• Total voters

Dual

Reaction score
I don't mind paying the premiums for new vinyl, as it's a better product in my opinion. Plus, there will only usually be one run of a vinyl release, even if it's not a 'limited edition'.

So essentially you are still getting a 'limited' version of a record and it costs more to manufacture vinyl these days. Which obviously all adds up to a more expensive end product.

The majority of stuff I buy on vinyl is from independent labels though who put the time and effort into their releases which is why I think it's worth it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It's hard to find vinyl over here at all Dual, the best sources are the Bands websites, many of them do offer the option, but as I said earlier ordering a copy from Hamburg Germany of one of my favorite bands would be very expensive and I don't like the idea of having it shipped either too many things can go wrong.

Dual

Reaction score
I have ordered vinyl from all over the world and the UK. There are many, many vinyl shops over here, both high street and online. You just have to look for them is all.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I will not order from overseas, it is just too expensive and that is where most of the bands I like are from. I will settle for CD's, it is just easier than the hassles of vinyl, besides as I said earlier our standards went into the toilet in the mid-70's and I am not sure whether our pressings are on par with European vinyl which always kept things at a high quality. I just refuse to pay $40.00 to get one album from Germany for example.

Dual

Reaction score
Just because a record shop is based in the UK doesn't mean that's where the record was manufactured. Lots of the record shops stock releases by independant companies from all over the globe which is what I mean. You will definitely be able to get that record you want for a lot cheaper than $40.00, you just have to hunt around.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Only online there are no stores here anymore that offer vinyl records except 2nd hand shops. I have about 200 vinyl albums that have survived all these years, they are enough for me, now I buy CD's only and that is not going to change.

There was a huge scandal here decades ago, when we found out our record labels were scrimping on quality using less vinyl, recycled vinyl and just printing them as fast as possible not caring how they sounded or if they lasted either. I found myself almost buying Audiophile and Import albums exclusively at that point they at least were dependable.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Whether it be vinyl or cd I am also with Kuaizi in regards to the album experience, and how well they were thought out with the time afforded to the artists, and also with LG that many of TODAY's European metal bands have saved this wonderful pastime of being able to listen to the band's work from front to back.

It's really the only mind set I have for myself as well these days.

Terra812

Reaction score
Whether it be vinyl or cd I am also with Kuaizi in regards to the album experience, and how well they were thought out with the time afforded to the artists.

Today there is no thought put into the "A" side or the "B" side like many great vinyl records.

What I'm sure Itunes has helped kill by selling single songs is... I'd buy an album for a certain song or two and after a few listens other tracks I might not have truly gotten into on the first play would grow on me and would become my favorite tracks. Many miss a lot of great music just plucking a track or two.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I have to agree, allowing "Cherry Picking" has led to the dilution of a complete work by many artists.

i-tunes should have been forced to sell Complete albums, and in Lossless format as well. If people want to compress the music for their portable players go right ahead, but at least give the rest of us the option of taking the best quality files possible. Ironic that AAC does have a lossless codec, but you'll never see it offered on i-tunes.:nw:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Here was a device that I read about in the late 70's that had all audiophiles excited, a DAT recorder/player. The problem was they came too late and too expensive to become the standard, and the blank tapes were really expensive, due to the levy on all tape back then so this format never caught on. I have never seen an actual DAT retail cassette released by a major record label. It was all over for this format when Philips invented the CD a couple of years later, I almost bought one three years ago just for fun but I couldn't find any blank tape to record with so I let it pass by on e-bay.

This would have been the equivalent of an i-pod portable player except it used digital tape instead of a miniature hard drive.

41F82S0N37L.jpg

Here's a professional grade player/recorder, a really nice looking piece of equipment.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online