Willie Nelson

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Some good Willie news...

It’s been a long time since Willie Nelson released an album featuring mostly new, original music — 1996, to be exact. The wait is finally over, as Nelson has announced his new record, ‘Band of Brothers.’

The album, streeting June 17, includes 14 tracks, with nine of the songs written by the Red Headed Stranger and Buddy Cannon. It was certainly a labor of love, as Nelson and his band worked on recording between October 2013 and March 2014.

In addition to the original tracks on ‘Band of Brothers,’ there are also a few covers. Vince Gill‘s ‘Whenever You Come Around,’ and Billy Joe Shaver’s ‘The Git Go’ (a duet with Jamey Johnson).

Willie Nelson ‘Band of Brothers’ Track Listing:

1. ‘Bring It On’
2. ‘Guitar in the Corner’
3. ‘The Wall’
4. ‘Whenever You Come Around’
5. ‘Wives and Girlfriends’
6. ‘I Thought I Left You’
7. ‘Send Me a Picture’
8. ‘Used to Her’
9. ‘The Git Go’
10. ‘Band of Brothers’
11. ‘Hard to Be an Outlaw’
12. ‘Crazy Like Me’
13. ‘The Songwriters’
14. ‘I’ve Got a Lot of Traveling to Do’

0888430192126.jpg

Really looking forward to this album. I enjoy every Willie Nelson release, but it's about time he releases some original material!

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Well, Willie has released another album since my last post.

Willie’s Stash, Vol. 1: December Day

December Day is an album by American country music singer-songwriter Willie Nelson (and his sister Bobbie Nelson), released by Legacy Recordings on December 2, 2014. It marks the first release of Willie's Stash, a set of archival recordings curated by Nelson.

Willie_Nelson_-_December_Day.jpg

And now there's yet another Willie album on the way, this time a duets album with Merle Haggard called "Django and Jimmie".

illie_Nelson_%26_Merle_Haggard_-_Django_and_Jimmie.jpg

Track listing:

1. "Django and Jimmie"
2. "It's All Going to Pot"
3. "Unfair Weather Friend"
4. "Missing Ol' Johnny Cash" (featuring Bobby Bare)
5. "Live This Song"
6. "Alice in"
7. "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright"
8. "Family Bible"
9. "It's Only Money"
10. "Swinging Doors"
11. "Where Dreams Come to Die"
12. "Somewhere Between"
13. "Driving the Herd"
14. "The Only Man Wilder Than Me"

The first single:

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Not usually too big on country,but I've always been quite curious about Nelson's 1975 release "Red Headed Stranger" as I've seen it on best ever albums lists.Is this a work that even someone not usually into country might enjoy?Any particular tracks?.......................

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Not usually too big on country,but I've always been quite curious about Nelson's 1975 release "Red Headed Stranger" as I've seen it on best ever albums lists.Is this a work that even someone not usually into country might enjoy?Any particular tracks?.......................

There's definitely a chance that you might enjoy it. The album is very folky. You can heard the whole thing on Youtube. Give it a shot.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score

There's definitely a chance that you might enjoy it. The album is very folky. You can heard the whole thing on Youtube. Give it a shot.

Agree with SDM. In a way, it's a concept/story album, which is somewhat unusual for the time he recorded it. When I listen to Willie in "the background" at the house it's usually while I'm working, and it's usually a burned disc of my favorite singles.

Red Headed Stranger (for me) is a more contemplative listen and best listened to as an entire album.

JimJam

Reaction score
Red Headed Stranger is a fine album but the story or "concept" is sketchy at best. The stranger comes to town, he gets into trouble, survives, and lives to an old age. What counts is the material, including the famous "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" and "Hands on the Wheel."

Similar to Phil B., I lean towards collections and better known material. But two Nelson albums I am very fond of are Across the Borderline and Teatro. Borderline is a mix of his older songs and covers, strong material and he sounds committed. Teatro has a dark mood. Emmylou Harris duets on most of the tracks, similar to her role with Gram Parsons. Daniel Lanois produced; the sound is spare but atmospheric in a manner typical of Lanois.

Last edited:

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Teatro has a dark mood. Emmylou Harris duets on most of the tracks, similar to her role with Gram Parsons. Daniel Lanois produced; the sound is spare but atmospheric in a manner typical of Lanois.

Teatro (Italian for theater) is a wonderful album. :grinthumb

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
How's this poem by Willie. The man's a genius. Hope no-one gets offended :)

willie_nelson.jpg

“I have outlived my pecker.”

The Penis Poem–by Willie Nelson

My nookie days are over,

My pilot light is out.

What used to be my pride and joy,

Is now my water spout.

Time was when, on its own accord,

From my trousers it would spring.

But now I’ve got a full time job,

To find the f***in’ thing.

It used to be embarrassing,