Wilco (Official Thread)

Oblivion

Reaction score
wilco_thealbum_350.jpg

Wilco's music has been inspired by a wide variety of artists and styles, including Bill Fay and Television, and has in turn influenced music by a number of modern alternative rock acts. The band continued in the alternative country of Uncle Tupelo on its debut album A.M. (1995), but has since introduced more experimental aspects to their music, including elements of alternative rock, and classic pop.

Wilco garnered media attention for its fourth album, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2002), and the controversy surrounding it. After the recording sessions were complete, Reprise Records rejected the album and dismissed Wilco from the label. As part of a buy-out deal, Reprise gave Wilco the rights to the album for free. After streaming Foxtrot on its website, Wilco sold the album to Nonesuch Records in 2002. Both record labels are subsidiaries of Warner Music Group, leading one critic to say that the album showed "how screwed up the music business [was] in the early twenty-first century." Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is Wilco's most successful release to date, selling over 590,000 copies. Wilco won two Grammy Awards for their fifth studio album, 2004's A Ghost Is Born, including Best Alternative Music Album. Wilco released their seventh studio album, Wilco (The Album), on June 30, 2009.

All their albums in chronological order:

* A.M. (March 28, 1995)
* Being There (October 29, 1996)
* Summerteeth (March 9, 1999)
* Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (April 23, 2002)

* A Ghost Is Born (June 22, 2004)
* Sky Blue Sky (May 15, 2007)
* Wilco (The Album) (June 30, 2009)

I have the ones in bold and love all of them... Any wilco fans in here??

wilco.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Wilco !

I have 5 of their albums myself OB,,,all because of Vinny and his excellent thread/posts about this band.

I have only listened to their CD's once or twice, so I am not an expert yet, but I like them.

Zombeels

Reaction score

Don't care for their latest output.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I see you do like Summerteeth Zombeels,,,would it be your favorite album by Wilco?

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

i thought Sky Blue Sky was a little sub par but i really dig Wilco (The Album) plus the rest of their 00's releases. definitely a great band that deserves more recognition

i'd say Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is my favorite, its an album that becomes more rewarding with every listen. from Tweedy's lyrics to the experimentation they put in their music. definitely an album that's worth the time to get into it

Oblivion

Reaction score

:D seems I have the good albums originally then!

More love for Wilco is always good... I'd love to see them live..

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I only have Yankee and have only listened a couple of times so far, and if music is anything other than bare-bones simple it can take me 4 or 5 listenings or more to get to appreciate it (I'm still working on Radiohead ;)). I'm hoping that will happen with this album. They (and Jeff Tweedy himself) certainly have the alt credibility for me to expect that I'll get to like it more.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

any update on the Wilco craig? they're a rewarding band, especially with the album Yankee. their other releases are a little more straightforward or popish but i definitely see Yankee as being the toughest to get into. i would love to hear what you think of them so far

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online