why was Pink Floyd so messed up??

ishu161

Reaction score
and Masher, you really know ur stuff.....thnx for all the info!! :cheers2

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Many of this world's greatest works of art were done under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Many artists were of a "different" mentality that allowed for a creative focus not available to the masses.

rbowman

Young, Classic Rock Lover
Reaction score
Roger Waters turned into a dick and a control freak in the very late 70's.

Sad.

That's my view.

I blame everything on Roger Waters.

While he played a very large part in their demise, they continued on, successfully, without him. While he was a bit of a dick in the 70's, I'm looking forward to seeing him in November.

He was also their most creative member, he wrote an album that sold over 45 million copies, so frankly I think he had some right to be controlling. However, David Gilmour was one of the greatest guitarists of all time, and they wouldn't be where they are today if it wasn't for him. I know I am contradicting myself but Gilmour and Waters could have made it work, but yes the blame probably falls more on Waters. That said, it takes two to fight, and so thats why it isn't just Waters fault.

The Division bell and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason weren't anywhere near as good as any previous albums because of the absence of Waters, but his album Radio K.A.O.S was fairly good, but again not as good as his albums with Floyd, so it's all about why your with.

Last edited:

rbowman

Young, Classic Rock Lover
Reaction score
From what I heard, I think Rick Wright wanted to go on Holiday, because Roger Waters was telling him what to play and not play, being a control freak in the studio. Something that never really happened before in the past. (or not told in such an abrasive way). I guess there's so many sides of this story, who knows?

But, over the years, most fingers point at Roger Waters.

Sad.

I think today, Roger Waters realizes he was being a dick, but so many years had passed, it was hard for others to forgive and forget, or maybe there were still things going on, that the public just doesn't know. Anyway, that's just my take on things. I was really hoping after Live 8 Concert, back in the summer of 2005, they would all work and play together again. But you could almost see and feel ''the wall'' between Waters and the rest of the members of Pink Floyd.

BTW: Waters and Gilmour played in July and Gilmour will play together at one of Water's The Wall Shows , undecided which one. So yes there was a wall between them, but obviously they realize that they are so good playing together that it would be wrong for them no to get over their personal differences and play music. Gilmour and Waters have been compared to McCartney and Lennon, in the way that one was an angry political activist (Lennon/Waters) and one a very focused musician (Gilmour/McCartney). It's sad that Paul and John never saw each other after the Beatles breakup, but fortunately that isn't how it happened for Waters and Gilmour. I Think that it is safe to say that now, that Waters and Gilmour have forgotten their differences or at least moved past them.

Inside Gilmour and Waters' Surprise Pink Floyd Reunion | Rolling Stone Music

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Staff online

Members online