why was Pink Floyd so messed up??

ishu161

Reaction score
okay,here's the deal....i wasn't alive when they were at the top of their game, and whatever i've learned about them has been from various articles i could find online, and even wikipedia....and many have contradicting statements. And i've NEVER had the chance to discuss them with someone.

i know the whole fiasco with Syd, but not so sure what happened after that.

so, could someone please tell me what happened?

i'm not looking for a 1000 words story,as i'm sure is gonna bore everyone....just short inputs...

hope no one's gonna kill me for calling myself a floyd fan after this thread :peek

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Roger Waters turned into a dick and a control freak in the very late 70's.

Sad.

That's my view.

I blame everything on Roger Waters.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
If you know the Syd Barrett story that is the beginning of the Pink Floyd story. A sad way for him to be forced to leave the band, but it was of his own doing.

David Gilmour arriving is what "Completed" the band in my opinion. By far their best albums were done Post Syd, I won't get into the "Piper..." debate here suffice it to say I much prefer Floyd from Meddle onwards.

The band went through all the same peaks and valleys like any "musical family" does over a long career, but when they recorded "The Wall", that was a definite signpost for the band. As Groovy said Waters was basically taking over everything, and cutting the others to session musician status and that was not going to fly. Inevitably the friction in the band became worse, Rick Wright left before the Final Cut was recorded, Waters was quoted as saying Nick Mason was an average drummer at best and at that point Pink Floyd MK II was finished.

To finish the saga, the remaining three members decided to carry on without Roger Waters and tour/record using the Pink Floyd name. Waters sued to try and stop them from doing so, he lost they carried on and were hugely successful without him, he enjoyed a solo career that was prosperous and they will never get back together officially as a band, especially now that Rick Wright has passed away a few years ago.

That is all from memory, if someone wishes to add or correct my summary, please do so gently.:grinthumb

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
To clarify, Richard Wright left "to go on Holiday" during recording for "The Wall", he hadn't provided "anything" up until that point and that is what pissed Roger off. Rick was originally a Producer, but Ezrin picked up after he was fired. Rick "came back" the 1st time to do the Live Shows. He came back a 2nd time for AMLOR.

Keep in mind that Rick's cocaine habit was in full swing around Animals. That didn't help him concentrate either.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think you can safely say Rick and Nick and David were all pissed off at Roger during the Wall sessions. It was basically a one man show, and yeah I realize most of the lyrics were written by Roger, but PF was a Band until that point. No doubt the strife came to a head and assorted personal issues also contributed, but the fact remains the three members carried on without Roger, that speaks volumes to me.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
I think you can safely say Rick and Nick and David were all pissed off at Roger during the Wall sessions. It was basically a one man show, and yeah I realize most of the lyrics were written by Roger, but PF was a Band until that point. No doubt the strife came to a head and assorted personal issues also contributed, but the fact remains the three members carried on without Roger, that speaks volumes to me.

I agree, it's just that most folks think Rick was "canned" right before TFC and this is simply not true. Roger and Columbia had worked like mad to deliver the album by Xmas and make a fortune off of Holiday Sales. But, when Rick said "no, I'm going on Holiday for 4 months", Roger snapped. I have disdain for Roger being the egotistical person that he is, but given the circumstances of David and Nick also trying to keep Rick from going on Holiday, the cocaine was talking.

Pink Floyd was far from "messed up" as a Band. That nod goes to "Badfinger". I read "Without You: The Tragic Story of Badfinger" and now THAT is a star-crossed band.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You know more about the details than I do Masherbrum, I knew Rick had a drug habit, but not to the extent you pointed out.:cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think ishu161 will have some follow up questions, I will leave them for you of course.:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online